Staff Engineer, WebTVE
Come join our team!
The CNN WebTVE (TV Everywhere) team is hiring a Staff Software Engineer. This is a great opportunity for an individual that is passionate about Video Products to help shape the CNN Video Consumer Experience. This role will be critical to the development of new digital products with goals aligning to increased engagement, viewership, and revenue.
As a Staff Software Engineer, you will assume a technical leadership role on the team and provide support for the team leads and engineers on the team through your deep technical knowledge. You will lead the conversations for the architecture for new video solutions, champion best engineering practices through alignment with CNN technical leadership, and work directly on the implementation of new digital product for the CNN Video Experience.
As a technical leader on the team WebTVE team, you will also work directly with the Engineering Manager, Product, Design partners on project management activities such as planning, technical strategy, quality, customer testing and delivery, with the ultimate goal of delivering products that our customers love.
• Knowledge in the development and maintenance of web video player libraries allowing for consumption of video content at scale
• Experience building comprehensive and robust APIs, configurations, and components to support video playback, user interfaces, video metadata, and third-party integrations
• Thorough understanding of how video playback works in modern web browsers and any associated limitations, media source extensions, encrypted media extensions, and auto play
• Expert knowledge of scaling and optimization of a code base
• Expert knowledge of building solutions for high traffic websites
• Expert knowledge of unit test frameworks such as Jasmine, Mocha, or JEST
Nice to haves:
• Experience integrating services and SDKs (third-party or otherwise) for ads, analytics, audience engagement, and media asset management
• Working knowledge of media streaming, digital rights management, client-side and server-side ad insertion, analytics technologies; in addition to video player events, captions, and adaptive bitrate algorithms
• Expert knowledge of integrating analytics and accessibility
• Expert knowledge of AWS services, such as Lambda, API Gateway, SNS, Elasticache, S3, and CloudFront
• Expert knowledge of building fully responsive designs that work across all screen resolutions as it pertains to the video player
• Experience with Python
As a member of the team you will:
• Take on a technical leadership role, helping to guide technical direction in partnership with engineering, product, and design partners.
• Collaborate with video streaming and encoding teams to improve video delivery and playback.
• Thoroughly document your own contributions and, where necessary, the contributions of others.
• Lead technical design and architecture of new features and requirements within the product.
• Contribute to documentation and code quality efforts across the platform through thoughtful code reviews and ensuring code standards.
• Be responsible for implementing, developing and maintaining complete high-priority features with thorough testing.
• Communicate effectively and facilitate meetings with engineering and product to ensure engineering requirements and expectations.
• Collaborate across teams to ensure co-dependent work streams needs are met.
• You are excited to learn and ready to lead new challenges.
• You are passionate about video and streaming and are excited to contribute to several code bases that touch both.
• You are an excellent communicator capable of assessing a technical task and breaking it into smaller tasks in partnership with other engineers and/or product.
• You are comfortable giving demos of your work and explaining technical details and requirements across teams.
• You are excited and eager to take on mentoring of both senior and associate level engineers, and you ideally have experience doing so in the past.
• You are excited to add positively to the culture of CNN, both from an interpersonal level and from a code improvement standpoint.
• You are passionate about improving the code you touch and interact with.
Warner Bros. Discovery embraces the opportunity to build a workforce that reflects the diversity of our society and the world around us. Being an equal opportunity employer means that we take seriously our responsibility to consider qualified candidates on the basis of merit, without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, mental or physical disability, and genetic information, marital status, citizenship status, military status, protected veteran status or any other category protected by law.
If you're a qualified candidate with a disability and you need a reasonable accommodation in order to apply for this position, please contact us at email@example.com.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-g40wjq-3-238-90-95-42 in your application.