The Curation Editor's core responsibility is to produce and commission curated lists, recommendation essays, and other inventive formats that help Polygon's audience navigate the increasingly crowded world of entertainment.
The editor should have a deep knowledge of entertainment history, with a targeted interest in science fiction, historical fiction/fantasy, superheroes, teen entertainment, and/or the emerging genres of the internet era.
The editor sets the tone for Polygon's curation program by balancing week-to-week release coverage with long-lead features, packages, and freelance commissions. Instead of leaning on curation lists available on every site, we search for conversation-starters timed to the right moment. The editor keeps a finger on the pulse of what's popular, works with the data team to track trends, and bolsters their perspective with continued education and curiosity. They're always ready to tell a story or share a new discovery.
• Write/edit 4-5 stories a week: a mix of recommendation lists, service stories, list-style interviews, and/or trend stories focused on the entertainment team's key areas of interest.
• Collaborate with Sr. Editor, Reviews to align entertainment curation with games curation.
• Oversee the entertainment section's recommendation coverage, including ''best of'' lists and ''what to watch/read'' curation.
• Oversee a collection of curated lists that are updated on a predictable schedule.
• Assist editors in planning and executing themed packages tied to tentpole events and topics.
• Participate in weekly brainstorms and pitch sessions, and lead team discussions when applicable.
• Flex knowledge of online publishing tools, image curation, and search practices.
• Provide local or global event coverage when assigned
• Manage member(s) of the curation team.
• Take a proactive role in shaping coverage, scheduling content, and assessing our distribution.
• Be an active participant during work hours, leveraging direct and passive communication tools to create a successful workflow.
• Pitch new stories each week, and be ready to springboard off a breaking topic.
• Help Polygon connect with new pockets of readers and increase readership year-over-year.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-gw9xmk-3-234-211-61-42 in your application.