Shopping Writer, Branded Content
New York, NY
About VICE MEDIA GROUP
An international media company that captures people at the heart of stories, and focuses on the ideas, issues, and context that other outlets miss. Launched in 1994, VICE operates in 35 cities across the globe, making 1500 pieces of content every day with a focus on five lines of business: VICE Digital, an award-winning international network of digital content; VICE STUDIOS, a feature film and television production studio; VICELAND, an Emmy-winning international television network; a Peabody award-winning NEWS division; VIRTUE, a global, full-service creative agency with 21 offices around the world; and REFINERY29, the leading digital media and entertainment company focused on Millennial and Gen-Z marginalized voices with a global audience footprint of 550 million across all platforms.
About the Affiliate team:
The content led by the Affiliate teams across Vice Media Group refines the global marketplace for our audience with expansive, creative storytelling that is expertly researched and crafted with the intent to convert reader into shopper. We always put the audience's needs first and focus on products that will enhance their life. We consider any purchase - big or small - to be an investment.
The articles written by the Affiliate team operate separately from our editorial team, with the goal of generating revenue from sales of goods & services featured in the articles.This role is a non-union position that is not recognized by a collective bargaining agreement.
About the job:
Top-edit Vice commerce content and write a few articles a month that drives inspiration and conversation around shoppable service for the Vice audience. Optimize affiliate shopping stories to help achieve revenue goals and serve up quality in product picks. Work with affiliate team freelance contributors - help assign, edit, and optimize freelancers' articles. This role reports directly to the Vice Affiliate Director.
What you'll do:
• Edit at least 2 stories a day, not only improving clarity and grammar, but working with the writer to sharpen their voice, fact-check their claims, and structure their piece in the most compelling way
• Maintaining a list of trusted freelancers, and help guide them writing shopping content in the Vice voice across various topics
• Train freelancers in CMS and best practices, voice, and market
• Write at least 1 originally reported story a week (exact number based on your manager's discretion) that delivers sharp, inspiring, informational and humorous takes on the most compelling and emerging ideas, stories, brands, and conversations
• Conduct interviews with industry leaders, experts, and influencers
• Stay up to date on cultural zeitgeist conversations-we want this person to constantly be on the pulse, discovering big trends before they hit the mass market.
• Help ideate and execute editorial packages and tentpoles, working with your Director on at least one editorial package or tentpole a quarter
• Use search data, Google trends, cultural events, and affiliate retail sources to inform your content and product selection
• Collaborate with the SEO, Social, and Email teams to optimize content
• Edit shopping newsletters and any supporting shopping-focused marketing efforts
• Be an enthusiastic member of the team, continuously offering fresh ideas and pitches
• Must be available to work during the biggest shopping events including: Prime Day, Black Friday, and Cyber Week
To be successful here you are:
• Energized working in a fast-paced, high volume operation
• Collaborative and open to feedback in pursuit of constantly pushing content to new heights
• Comfortable writing first person experiences and reviews
• Have a few years of editing experience
• Basic to intermediate image editing experience is a plus
We want to find people who believe in our goals and feel inspired enough to grow while they're here to fill the role, rather than someone who checks the boxes but isn't invested. We encourage you to apply and show us what you've got.
If you require reasonable accommodation during the application and selection process, please let us know. We will work together to best meet your needs.
Working at VICE
VICE prioritizes the ideas and people that other media companies miss. We believe that innovation is a direct result of diverse, inclusive cultures so we don't just ''tolerate'' differences, we celebrate it and see it as essential to our staff, culture, and business. To learn more read the VICE Guide to VICE
Agencies: VICE Media Group is not partnering with agencies nor accepts unsolicited resumes and will not be responsible for any fees or expenses related to such unsolicited resumes and/or applicants.
VICE Media Group is the world’s largest independent youth media company. Launched in 1994,VICE has offices in 35 cities across the globe with a focus on five key businesses: VICE.com, an award-winning international network of digital content; VICE STUDIOS, a feature film and television production studio; VICE TV, an Emmy-winning international television network; a Peabody award-winning NEWS division with the most Emmy-awarded nightly news broadcast; and VIRTUE, a global, full-service creative agency with 25 offices around the world.