Unreal Technical Lead
New York, NY
The Mill is a global creative partner for agencies, production companies and brands, working across all media channels and platforms.
We are trusted specialists in visual effects, creative technologies and content production Our projects include the creation of digital products and virtual experiences, as well as world class visual effects and video production.
We are a vibrant network of talented artists, producers, directors and creative technologists from multinational backgrounds. We nurture innovation, flexibility and diverse ideas across our studios in London, New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, Berlin and Bangalore. We are all united by one single ambition: To create extraordinary and memorable work that captivates and excites audiences.
We are The Mill. We create the extraordinary.
Our global Visual Effects team combines talent with technology, artistry with rigor, the familiar with the fantastic. Our work can be inspiring or invisible, but always unforgettable. From the language of colour to the hand drawn and photo-real, we bring ideas to life through the use of movement, storytelling and timing.
The Modeling Supervisor's top priority is building and maintaining a highly skilled and team-oriented Modeling Department. This department is responsible for most asset work from initial model creation/ingestion through to texturing and in some cases even look dev. Asset categories includes characters (creatures, bipeds, humans), organic surfaces and hard surface assets. The Modeling Supervisor has an expertise in best practices and techniques for creating clean and efficient geometry for varying target outputs (i.e. rigging, simulation, photorealistic rendering as well as realtime game engines). Along with the ability to help artists problem solve and complete models and UVs, it is also highly necessary for the Modeling Supervisor to be able to oversee character sculpting, blendshape creation and texturing. You will work with other department supervisors within the CG department to ensure that there is continuous pipeline/workflow development, including cooperating with Modeling Supervisors at The Mill's other offices around the world. The Modeling Supervisor will hold regular team meetings with the artists that he/she manages to keep the group talking and engaged while always learning and helping each other.
• Train, guide, and review asset artists creating high quality models, UVs, sculpts, retopology, blendshapes, textures and lookdev.
• Oversee and review creation of Facial Modeling and FACS blendshapes
• Ensure that artists are meeting production deadlines.
• Work efficiently and navigate a fast-paced environment.
• Provide feedback and improve established pipelines and workflows
• Work with pipeline and R&D teams to create new tools needed to increase efficiency.
• Meet with other Supervisors to discuss many topics that range department needs.
• Hold bi-weekly meetings with the Modeling team to continue learning and build team togetherness
• Collaborate with Directors, Creative Directors, VFX Supervisors, and CG Leads to ensure that all work being delivered meets high level expectations and specific project needs
• Experience working in high quality asset creation (modeling, sculpting, uvs, texturing on hero assets from hard surface to characters)
• Proficient in Maya, Zbrush, Mari, Substance Painter
• Ability to work within a new pipeline and continually look for ways to improve said pipeline
• Understanding of Facial Modeling, FACS blendshapes and Facial Rigging
• Commitment to owning the department and nurturing its development and growth
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-rj2qv2-3-238-130-97-42 in your application.