SYFY, NBC's network for science fiction, horror and fantasy, is looking for a full-time news and features editor to helm digital content on SYFY.com, including SYFY WIRE.
We're looking for someone with keen news judgment who can write killer headlines, juggle several things at once, and suss out original stories while using analytics and an understanding of SEO to plan coverage. This position will work with staff and freelance talent to conceive and execute articles for SYFY WIRE about movies, TV shows, comic books, pop culture and science/technology,
Planning and editing skills are key to this position, as well as experience managing writers and editors. Experience and interest in genre content is highly desired with an ear to the ground on what the next big story will be and how to plan coverage for it. Covering the genre in a way that is diverse and inclusive is key. This position will coordinate with video producers and editors on both long-lead interviews and short-form video. Proficiency in web publishing skills (HMTL, CMS environments, Photoshop) is a must. Candidates must be metrics and performance-focused, organized, and detail-oriented under deadline pressure.
• Coordinate with the associate features editor and shows producer to determine daily coverage and long-lead content plans.
• Maintain an editorial calendar that works in concert with and plays off of, events in the genre, in larger pop culture and within Syfy's own ecosystem.
• Build relationships with publicists and talent.
• Work with a roster of contract and freelance writers and editors, as well as provide guidance to NBC pages.
• Use metrics to determine story selection.
• Collaborate with social team to develop strategies for maximizing content performance.
5+ years of experience working for a media company or major website that generates original content, preferably covering entertainment.
Knowledge of HTML and CMS environments.
Ability to maintain a sense of humor.
Sharp editorial judgment and skills (writing, copy editing, accuracy).
Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-d27o0y-52-205-167-104-42 in your application.