SYFY, NBC's network for science fiction, horror and fantasy, is looking for a full-time associate features editor to shape long-lead digital content on SYFY WIRE. We're looking for someone with keen news judgment who can write killer headlines, juggle several things at once, and suss out original stories while using analytics and an understanding of SEO to plan coverage.
This position will write, as well as work with freelance talent to conceive and execute features for SYFY WIRE about movies, TV shows, comic books, pop culture and science/technology, across all streaming platforms, including explainers, interviews, listicles, nostalgic deep dives and opinion pieces.
Solid reporting, copy-editing, and fact-checking skills are crucial to this position. Experience and interest in genre content is highly desired with an ear to the ground on what the next big story will be and how to plan coverage for it. Proficiency in web publishing skills (HMTL, CMS environments, Photoshop) is a must. Candidates must be metrics and performance-focused, organized, and detail-oriented under deadline pressure.
• Coordinate with the news editor and shows producer to determine daily coverage and long-lead content plans.
• Maintain an editorial calendar that works in concert with and plays off of, events in the genre, in larger pop culture and within Syfy's own ecosystem.
• Build relationships with publicists and talent.
• Work with a roster of contract and freelance writers.
• Use metrics to determine story selection.
• Collaborate with social team to develop strategies for maximizing content performance.
• 5+ years of experience working for a media company or major website that generates original content, preferably covering entertainment.
• Knowledge of HTML and CMS environments.
• Ability to maintain a sense of humor.
• Sharp editorial judgment and skills (writing, copy editing, accuracy).
• Excellent organizational skills.
• Ability to pay attention to detail.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-r1o49m-18-204-2-146-42 in your application.