As a CFX TD you will be responsible for developing tools, workflows and efficiencies for cloth simulation in Houdini, muscle systems via Houdini, and hair and feather grooms and simulation in Houdini. In this position, you will work closely with CG Supervisors, VFX Supervisors, and Heads of Department to determine the best technical and creative approaches and techniques for your task. Each key responsibility will rely upon successful collaboration with your Department Manager, Lead, and cross departmental communication. Additionally, you will work closely with the Pipeline Department to ensure your tools are correctly version controlled and follow best coding practices. You will also be expected to do asset/shot work in order to familiarise yourself with the Spin CFX pipeline and to find areas for improvement. While being a member of the CFX Team, you will be expected to deliver work within established project targets at the quality standards of Spin VFX, offer honest and responsible ETA’s, and maintain a collaborative attitude.
We are looking for TDs with at least one of the following:
- Proven experience using/implementing a muscle system in Houdini or Maya
- Proven experience implementing a photo-real feather system in Houdini
- Proven experience standardising/automating CFX shot setups in Houdini
- Proven experience setting up skin sliding and/or skin compression in Houdini or Maya
- Proven experience implementing a setup to deform a baked static hairgen with simulated guide curves in Houdini.
You will be required to participate in, implement systems for and provide support with:
- Setting up and running muscle and skin simulations in Houdini
- Grooming hair, fur, feathers, and organic elements using Houdini.
- Running fur simulations in Houdini Vellum.
- Setting up and running cloth simulations in Houdini Vellum.
- Painting maps, modeling hair curves, modifying shaders, and optimizing grooms to improve render efficiency.
In addition, you are expected to be:
- Training the team in any tools and workflows you establish, and creating clear, thorough documentation
- Attending daily progress reviews to obtain feedback from supervisors.
- Delivering work on time, according to agreed schedules and specifications.
- Defining, documenting, and communicating best practices and techniques for fur/hair/cloth/muscle development.
- Participate in the department morale and culture.
- Offer and participate in department initiatives with creative supervisors, and the pipeline team to ensure initiatives are met.
- Communicating strongly and clearly enabling you to liaise between team members and other departments.
- Operate using KatanaMari, Renderman, and/or Arnold (experience is a benefit but not a requirement).
- Minimum of 3 years of CFX or Houdini experience
- Excellent knowledge of Houdini
- Excellent knowledge of python and VEX
- Knowledge of version control such as GitLab preferred
- Knowledge of C++ a bonus
- Knowledge of 3D-related mathematics, an asset
- Solid understanding of Production pipelines
- Ability to troubleshoot and solve problems independently
- Good communication skills to be able to liaise between team members and other departments
- Previous experience on CG characters/creature projects
- Experience in the following dynamic simulation: cloth, hair/fur, feathers, skin and muscle
- Having a traditional arts background with emphasis on photo-realistic character work is a benefit.
- A strong knowledge of anatomy is a benefit.
SPIN VFX is committed to an inclusive and accessible workplace. We welcome all qualified individuals that reflect the talents and diversity of the community to apply. SPIN VFX offers accommodation for applicants throughout the recruitment process upon request.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-roz551-44-200-168-16-42 in your application.