Foster City, CA
The Campaign Design Director, you will lead the game design team to create cutting edge level designs for our Single player/Campaign team. We're looking for top talent with strong experience in level design on AAA titles.
• Drive game design with creative director and game director guidance across systems, focused on campaign.
• Ensure cross pollination of design best practices via presentations, design documentation and verbally
• Partner closely with studio design leadership to help support the development of titles
• Work closely across analytics, production, marketing and business teams to build alignment in support of studio design goals
• Actively guide teams to reach target design goals offering mentoring and support where possible
• Review and provide feedback on game mechanic designs and sequences.
• Manage the integration, iteration, tuning and playtesting.
• Match game quality goals and scope to complement schedule, staff and budget.
• Improve processes and practices to increase quality and accuracy.
• Maintain knowledge of the global game market and applies knowledge to product
• Plan, build, innovate new/interesting scenarios for gameplay.
• Design and own systems/mechanics from concept to completion.
• Create and iterate on the second to second experiences.
• Implement gameplay using proprietary level editor and scripting language.
• Research the game's subject matter.
• Collaborate with other departments, including Design, Art and Engineering teams to create and refine gameplay mechanics & combat encounters.
• Prioritize well, meet deadlines and communicate progress with your lead and/or manager.
• Provide day-to-day management, mentorship, and leadership to others, guiding them in resolving issues and helping develop their overall skills
• Continually recognize and reward employees for strong performance
• Partner with & support Human Resources and Recruiting to ensure optimal hiring and retention practices.
• Participate in organizational planning to ensure structure reflects changing business needs
Year 1 success will include the following:
• Build effective relationships and credibility within Design Department and Studio.
• Innovative new mechanics and refine/improve existing mechanics.
• Strengthen operational processes, procedures and communications.
• Ten or more years of direct game development experience. Proven success, or relevant experience, in driving team results through strong leadership.
• Serious passion for Shooters, Console or PC.
• Prior Experience developing first-person shooters is a huge plus.
• Demonstrable experience creating gameplay in a 3D environment.
• Experience building believable spaces that cater to gameplay and narrative needs.
• Ability to conceptualize and communicate an engaging gameplay experience and the technical ability to carry out your vision.
• Experience in Radiant, UnrealEd, Hammer, or other first-person shooter level editors
• Strong creative and technical design skills.
• Ability to assist with level, narrative, and systems design when the situation arises
• Ability to map out overall game pacing.
• Strong portfolio of work in current-gen game engines
• Takes and understands direction and feedback well, meets deadlines and handles multiple tasks.
• Ability to motivate teams and promote initiatives
• Strong interpersonal skills & thrives in a team environment.
• Proven problem solving and trouble-shooting skills
• Experience managing change
• Strong communication skills.
Activision Blizzard, Inc. is one of the world's largest and most successful interactive entertainment companies and is at the intersection of media, technology and entertainment.