Online News Producer
Sinclair Broadcast Group
Be part of a growing online news team producing national content for Sinclair Broadcast Group's network of news sites. We're looking for a talented and creative journalist with an ability to learn new systems and jump into a fast-paced publishing environment. Online reporting should be your passion and the ideal candidate will be a journalist able to handle tight deadlines and constantly bring new ideas to the table. You should be able to work nights and weekends when needed.
• Assign and delegate responsibilities among producers during breaking news, daily news coverage and daily franchise tasks is a core expectation of this position
• Is a strong writer that can generate story ideas for news coverage on breakings news, trending news topics and news of the day
• Ensures stories are accurate and fact-checked before they are released for publishing
• Assists the Executive Producer in editing news stories from SBG's various news units
• Can produce well-researched stories under a tight deadline
• Monitor's team's work and improves the look and execution of the content created and disseminated by our team
• Regularly checks and keeps track of trending stories on Google Analytics and other performance sites and ensures those stories are published to the SBG group in a timely manner
• Uses strong editorial judgment and attention to detail to ensure that standards for The National Desk publishing are maintained
• Ability to work all shifts including but not limited to mornings, late nights, and weekends
• Regularly attends and contributes to editorial and team meetings. Is able to run team meetings and manage team if the Executive Producer is not present
• Assists the Executive Producer in planning for future major news events
• Assign and delegate daily franchise tasks among staff members
• Produces the evening Newsletter
• Back-fills open staff positions when employees are sick, take personal days or vacation as well as during breaking news
• Assists the Executive Producer in the training of new team members and interns
• Other duties as assigned
• BA/BS degree or equivalent (Degree in journalism or related field strongly preferred).
• Three to five years of online journalism experience.
• Excellent writing skills and knowledge of AP style required.
• A strong knowledge of current news events and politics.
• Must appreciate a sense of urgency when confronted with short deadlines and breaking news.
• Thrives working in a fast-paced, high-pressure evolving digital news environment.
• Is a team player and is willing to put the teams needs first.
• Strong understanding of content usage rights management and restrictions
• Strong proficiency in editing software such as Photoshop, Premiere and Avid.
• Basic HTML knowledge required.
• Experience with Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Instagram, Reddit and other social media platforms.
• Must be self-motivating and able to work well with a diverse group of people.
• Must have excellent communication skills, both written and verbal.
• Excellent organizational and critical thinking skills.
• Understanding of Microsoft 360 products: Word, Excel, Outlook, Power Point and Teams
Sinclair Broadcast Group, Inc. is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer and Drug Free Workplace!