Camera Layout Artist
San Diego, CA
Senior Technical Game Designer (Melee Specialist)
San Diego, CA
We are looking for game developers with an appetite for high quality, 3rd person, Action/Adventure games. If you enjoy PlayStation's library of games and our top-tier studios, then keep reading!
Sony PlayStation is building a new game development team in partnership with the Visual Arts Service Group (VASG), an award-winning, full-production studio that specializes in Animation, Motion Capture, Cinematics, Art and Scanning. This is the same world-class team known for its contributions to beloved franchises like Uncharted, Death Stranding, God of War and more. For more than a decade, we have shared knowledge, support and cutting-edge techniques with the very best developers in the industry: Naughty Dog, Kojima Productions, Guerrilla Games, Santa Monica Studios, Sucker Punch Productions, Bend Studio, Japan Studio, Insomniac Games and more.
This high visibility project is being developed in collaboration with a major Sony development studio. Though currently unannounced, we have a clear vision and plan to release. Our new dev team will leverage our existing expertise and world-class talent, guaranteeing a high visual quality bar for the title.
• Ownership and maintenance on gameplay Melee combat system and AI behaviors
• Implement existing melee systems into a new framework
• Prototyping and refining melee features with tuning and balancing
• Align with various departments to provide asset and code support for the Melee System
• Contribute and support the vision of the Sr. Design staff
• Collaborate across disciplines to get work done and clear dependencies
• General troubleshooting with technical aspects of the Design pipeline
• Additional responsibilities will be assigned as needed
• B.S. in computer science, and 3+ year's professional industry experience.
• Strong C++ programming ability
• Thorough understanding of 3D math
• Working experience with additional programming and scripting languages such as Python, LUA, C#, etc.
• Experience scripting complicated level scenarios & melee encounters considering checkpoints and game saves
• Strong and effective communication skills
• Excellent problem-solving ability, and a keen eye for details
• Solid understanding of Maya, 3DS Max or similar 3D package
• Ability to focus and work without micro-management while adhering to schedules
• At least 1 shipped AAA title
• Preferred: 3+ years designing and scripting single-player levels for console games
• Previous experience shipping a 3rd person action game.
• Understanding of melee player experiences and fighting in games
• Knowledge of AI graphs and systems
• Familiarity with Lisp programming language
Recognized as a global leader in interactive and digital entertainment, Sony Interactive Entertainment (SIE) is responsible for the PlayStation® brand and family of products and services.