Senior Character Outsource Artist (Contract)
Senior Character Outsource Review Artist
This is a contracted position through our staffing partner DZConneX with a high likelihood of extension.
San Diego, CA
PlayStation Studios Visual Arts (PSSVA), a passionate team within the PlayStation family, provides world-class content, development, and services to PlayStation's studios all over the world. Always at the cutting edge of technology, Visual Arts works with studios like Naughty Dog, Santa Monica Studios, Guerrilla Games, Insomniac Games, and more first-party teams. Our team is made up of game and film industry professionals working with some of the best minds and companies around!
If you're a Character Artist looking to lead projects while crafting in-game and in-game cinematic quality characters within a range of styles, but primarily photo-real, and have created characters from both detailed concepts and a single photograph we want to speak to you! You can take and provide direction from concepts or rough direction to final model/texture? Even better!
• Create in-game art and in-game cinematic art assets to Visual Arts/client specifications.
• Crafting and/or supervising the creation of proxy mesh/gray box art assets to internal team.
• Character art review: review various phases of character art assets and full characters.
• Take a character and character asset from beginning to end with integration into game.
• Evaluate effort estimations to ensure staff days are in-line with current project schedules.
• Create and/or modify existing assets as necessary, may be required to create both hard surface and soft bodied assets from scratch.
• Quality control art assets prior to delivery to client.
• Work with clients/supervisors to revise and respond based on feedback for both aesthetic and functional purposes.
• Test assets and character in game to assess both aesthetics and performance..
• 5+ years' experience as an Character artist or Character art reviewer, with at least 1 shipped AAA titles
• Advanced understanding of in-game and in-game cinematic art asset creation
• Advanced understanding of Maya, marvelous designer, substance painter, photoshop, as well as ZBrush or Mudbox
• Ability to use in-game technology to finalize assets
• Understanding of in-game testing to test/optimize for frame rate while balancing aesthetic needs
• Experience integrating character into game engine's (Unreal, Crytek, or proprietary)
• Advanced understanding of in-game art asset creation including hardsurface props, soft, rigid assets such as clothing items, weapons, etc…
• Experience working with external outsource vendors.
• Working on previous cinematic projects with a game engine and engine tools.
• Experience working with scan assets.
Equal Opportunity Statement:
Sony is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All persons will receive consideration for employment without regard to gender (including gender identity, gender expression and gender reassignment), race (including colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin), religion or belief, marital or civil partnership status, disability, age, sexual orientation, pregnancy or maternity, trade union membership or membership in any other legally protected category.
We strive to create an inclusive environment, empower employees and embrace diversity. We encourage everyone to respond.
PlayStation is a Fair Chance employer and qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records will be considered for employment.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-g629on-18-207-157-152-42 in your application.