Data Strategy and Operations (DSO) is responsible for providing global business intelligence solutions to Sony Interactive Entertainment.
The DSO department has grown rapidly over recent years in response to an increasing need for the business to leverage data to inform and shape key decisions, and to identify new opportunities. Currently there are approximately 130 staff within the DSO team, split between London and California, made up of high quality Business Intelligence (BI) and data professionals covering architecture, infrastructure and platform support, data processing, insight reporting, predictive analytics, machine learning, scrum masters and product management
Due to team expansion DSO are looking to recruit talented, highly driven individuals who have excelled in previous roles and are looking for a new challenge in a dynamic and rewarding environment.
We are seeking a Software Engineer to join DSO to ensure the successful delivery of business intelligence solutions for a growing worldwide customer base.
What you'll be doing:
We are looking for a Software Engineer to undertake operational duties, including support of our data pipelines, alert and monitoring of those services, as well as automating development team requests through scripting or use of configuration management techniques on the AWS Cloud Infrastructure.
The Software Engineer is required to work within an agile team with the successful applicant responsible for the operations and support of the Business Intelligence platform. They will be required to fit into a highly skilled team and work with limited supervision, under their own initiative.
This role reports to the DSO Infrastructure Engineering manager and is based in the London offices of SIE.
Key duties and responsibilities:
• 1st/2nd line support for the Production Platform
• Undertaking production releases into the platform
• Have the ability to identify and automate manual tasks where you can make time or cost savings
• Support of the data processing platform, including response to and resolution of any failures
• Carry out code peer reviews with particular emphasis on operational aspects
• Configuration management of code, covering versioning, deployments and building of tags
• Investigation, management and prioritisation of any incidents or queries raised
• Performing impact analysis
• Making code changes to improve resilience or efficiency
• Liaison with data providers
• Communication with end users and explanation of technical terms and concepts
• Work with Scrum Masters, Developers and Product Owners to ensure any failures are communicated in a clear manner
• Identifying ways to automate operational improvements
• Acting as the first line advisory/consulting for end users on 'How-to' questions
What we are looking for:
• Linux skills and the ability to comfortably use a command line interface.
• Knowledge of Agile software development methodologies.
• Very strong interpersonal skills including presentation, negotiating, facilitation and conflict resolution
• Ability to multi-task and prioritise within parallel development cycles and aggressive timelines
• Strong troubleshooting and problem solving ability
• Ability to work effectively and professionally with cross-functional teams worldwide.
• Meticulous attention to detail, and have the ability to make good, timely decisions.
• Motivated, organized self-starter with the ability to solve problems effectively, and work with limited supervision.
• Technical Skills including a good understanding of
Skills Required (desirable):
• Exposure to and understanding of the following technologies
• Ab Initio
• Understanding of AWS, S3, EC2, Systems Manager and related technologies
• Familiarity with incident management techniques and supportive tooling.
• Configuration management using Ansible
• Experience in ETL, ELT and data warehousing.
• Technical accreditation is preferred (i.e. AWS / CNCF / LPI certification)
• Discretionary bonus opportunity
• Private Medical Insurance
• Dental Scheme
• London Allowance (if applicable)
• 25 days holiday per year
• On Site Gym
• Subsidised Café
• Free soft drinks
• On site bar
• Access to cycle garage and showers
Equal Opportunity Statement:
Sony is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All persons will receive consideration for employment without regard to gender (including gender identity, gender expression and gender reassignment), race (including colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin), religion or belief, marital or civil partnership status, disability, age, sexual orientation, pregnancy or maternity, trade union membership or membership in any other legally protected category.
We strive to create an inclusive environment, empower employees and embrace diversity. We encourage everyone to respond.
PlayStation is a Fair Chance employer and qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records will be considered for employment.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-rn3px1-18-207-157-152-42 in your application.