Corporate Counsel, E-Commerce Product Counsel
San Mateo, CA
Sony PlayStation is seeking a hardworking Corporate Counsel to support our product teams for PlayStation Store, PlayStation Direct, PlayStation Subscription Services, and related e-commerce services and activities. You will get to work with a variety of teams across our global business, including commercial, retail, product, and engineering teams. The breadth of responsibilities starts from product inception, goes through development, scoping, testing, and release to market, continuing support as the product evolves.
The best candidates will have knowledge of the international laws and regulations impacting a major e-commerce platform. You must have excellent judgment in balancing legal risks with business strategy, as well as the ability to build strong client relationships and work closely with subject matter experts within the Legal Department to provide nuanced and informed legal advice to key elements of SIE's business. You will use your drive and experience to make a big impact on a major segment of our global business. Join our team to help build a world-class commerce experience that delight players and make PlayStation the best place to play!
• Advise clients on issues related to consumer protection, internet law, online platforms and subscription services, digital distribution/marketplaces, content regulations/ratings, gaming and the app economy.
• Strong ability to explain complex legal issues in basic terms for the non-legal stakeholders across the company, and provide pragmatic day-to-day strategic advice to minimize legal risks while advancing business goals and initiatives.
• Help drive the formulation of global legal advice in the area of e-commerce, collaborating closely with legal department members in Europe and Asia.
• Continually audit SIE's existing e-commerce platforms for compliance with the constantly evolving regulatory environment.
• Familiar with technology generally and B2C and B2B e-commerce technologies in particular.
• Follow and provide comments on regulatory/government proposals that impact PlayStation's commerce platforms and business goals/strategies.
• Design and provide legal training, policies, and guidelines for business clients and the global legal team.
• Maintain a solid understanding of the video game industry, PlayStation products and services, and relevant law by attending industry events and legal training.
• At least 5 years proven experience, particularly working as product counsel in a technology company.
• Legal expertise in several of the following areas: consumer protection, e-commerce, digital/internet law, content regulations/ratings (ESRB), auto-renewal laws, intellectual property, privacy, data security, digital currencies/payments or other regulatory frameworks.
• JD or LLM degree from top law school; admitted to a US state bar. California State Bar membership is preferred. At a minimum, the candidate must be qualified for and quickly acquire Registered In-House Counsel status in California and the willingness to maintain that status during employment.
• Experience counseling product development and e-commerce business teams and working closely with designers, product managers, engineers and online store sales/operations and merchandising teams in a fast-paced environment.
• Enthusiasm and passion for technology, law, and business. Experience in the video game industry and/or app economy a strong plus!
• Proven ability to think strategically, work collaboratively, and lead complex and highly impactful cross-functional projects from concept to completion.
• Good listener with exceptional communication and organizational skills.
• Dedication to client service and attention to detail.
• Eagerness and drive to continue learning.
• Open mindset and creative thinker.
• Sense of humor.
Equal Opportunity Statement:
Sony is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All persons will receive consideration for employment without regard to gender (including gender identity, gender expression and gender reassignment), race (including colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin), religion or belief, marital or civil partnership status, disability, age, sexual orientation, pregnancy or maternity, trade union membership or membership in any other legally protected category.
We strive to create an inclusive environment, empower employees and embrace diversity. We encourage everyone to respond.
PlayStation is a Fair Chance employer and qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records will be considered for employment.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-rz67j2-44-192-65-228-42 in your application.