Designer/ Senior Designer – Dial Books for Young Readers
Penguin Young Readers is seeking a Designer or Senior Designer to join Dial Books for Young Readers to create gorgeous, funny, and thoughtful books in a creative and diverse working environment. Their role will focus on designing picture books, chapter books, and graphic novels as well as illustrated middle grade.
Established in 1961, Dial Books for Young Readers was an innovator of titles for the very young, including the first quality board books published in the US Dial publishes books for two through teen that aim to entertain, enrich, and encourage our readers. Recent titles include: The Tree in Me, When Stars Are Scattered, and The Rabbit Listened.
Responsibilities will include, but are not limited to:
• Concepting, designing, and managing all stages of book projects – from sketches, to type design, to color proofing.
• Executing a broad range of design styles that are appropriate for various age groups and formats. A strong sense of title branding is important.
• Working collaboratively with the Art Director and all members of the design, editorial, production and inhouse teams, from concept to final books.
• Communicating effectively with artists and agents.
• Preparing press ready files and approving proofs.
• Maintaining priorities and adhering to production schedules and deadlines.
The ideal candidate possesses:
• Minimum of 4 years' experience in publishing book design or similar industry
• Passion for children's books that includes staying up-to-date on current trends
• A portfolio that highlights strong typography skills and ability to combine type and image
• Hand-lettering and illustration skills a plus
• Enjoys creative problem-solving in a wide variety of projects
• Knowledge of pre-press, 4-color, 2-color, and specialty printing processes in a PDF workflow
• Ability to work in a fast-paced environment and to multitask and work under tight deadlines
• Excellent communication and presentation skills
• Strong organizational skills with attention to detail
• Proficient in Adobe Creative Suite (InDesign, Photoshop, and Illustrator)
• Active involvement in the illustrator community and the ability to seek out new talent is a plus.
Full-time employees are eligible for our comprehensive benefits program. Please apply using our online application process, and please include your resume and cover letter, along with a link to your portfolio.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-r0ykne-18-204-2-146-42 in your application.