We are seeking an Associate Art Director who will be responsible for managing and creating distinctive book covers for our Avery and TarcherPerigee imprints. These imprints focus on nonfiction books in the two primary categories of health and self-help, including subcategories such as accessible science, psychology, wellness, relationships, parenting, self-improvement, spirituality, lifestyle, and gift/inspiration.
Past Titles: Atomic Habits, Set Boundaries Find Peace, Nine Nasty Words, Unwinding Anxiety, Things Are What You Make of Them, Notes to Self, 1000+ Little Things Happy Successful People Do Differently, Neurotribes, Love is the Way, Phallacy, The Book of Joy, Odd 1s Out, Inner Work of Racial Justice, Nightmareland, Start Where You Are, The Cosmic Calendar, Now is the Way, I am Diosa, Parenting Outside the Lines
The Associate Art Director:
• Designs a wide range of book jackets and covers from conception to final production
• Project manages staff and freelancers
• Partners with art director, editors, and publishers to manage multiple projects throughout the approval process
• Prepares jacket/cover mechanicals - from creation (setting up templates, designing layout, and routing within deadlines) to final production (gathering files for printer; marking-up for Production; and checking for color before final proofing).
• Archives completed jobs and provides files for marketing and publicity.
• Minimum 2 years of art directing staff and freelancers
• Highly creative and passionate about design and books
• Broad knowledge of typography, illustration, and photography
• Possesses good layout skills
• Strong verbal and written skills
• Strong attention to detail
• Ability to multitask and meet tight deadlines in a fast-paced environment
• Proficiency with InDesign, Photoshop, and Illustrator
Please apply using our online application process, and please include your portfolio, résumé, and cover letter. Full-time employees are eligible for our comprehensive benefits program.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-gm5j2m-3-215-79-116-42 in your application.