Position Title: Senior UX Designer (Hybrid)
Department: Product Development
Corporate Area: Digital & Marketing
Supervisor: Director, UX Design
The UX and UI team is a group of designers passionate about creating usable, accessible, and engaging digital experiences. We put users first and collaborate with stakeholders to design websites and applications that educate, entertain, inspire, and express a diversity of perspectives. We also work closely with product teams, content teams, and engineers to build scalable solutions that often focus on parents and educators. You could say we are a small team, responsible for big things.
Key responsibilities will include, but are not limited to:
• User experience deliverables such as information architecture diagrams, wireframes, personas, user flows, and journey maps
• User testing and user research, including planning and conception, prototype construction, test/question creation, and reporting and analysis
• Visual designs for a variety of breakpoints, mobile/tablet app design.
• The overall emphasis will be on UX work, but visual designs will also be an expected part of the job.
• Collaborating with product teams to evaluate, analyze, and propose improvements to high-level user and product goals.
• Creating, contributing to, and adhering to multiple design systems.
• Creating style guides and other design deliverables for both internal and external stakeholders.
Requirements for success:
• Growth Mindset:
• You are capable and excited to learn new things. You know that if you don't understand something right away, you can learn by talking to subject matter experts and doing your own research.
• Problem Solver:
• You see problems like puzzles and are excited figure out viable solutions. You also know there's usually more than one way to get things done.
• While you are detail oriented, you know when and where to be pixel perfect. Sometimes all you need is a pen and paper to get a point across.
• You have a strong work ethic, but know sometimes working ''smart'' is better than working ''hard.''
• When it's time to deliver your work, your files are organized and well-documented.
• Team Oriented + Collaborative:
• You are excited to collaborate with the digital design team and other stakeholders, and are capable of putting stakeholder needs in a larger context to arrive at the best product for users and for PBS.
• You are able to incorporate greater stakeholder needs and help others implement their visions.
• You know that design is a process, not an event, and it's ok when things aren't perfect right away. You are excited to iterate on a project until all your concerns are addressed.
• You are comfortable working with deadlines and are capable of creating and sticking to design schedules. While we are big fans of work-life balance here at PBS, we also love working hard and making great things for our users.
• You are excited to set goals and follow through to achieve those goals.
• You are capable of looking ahead to see what needs to be done.
• While you love working with a team, you know there's a time for putting your head down and getting stuff done.
• Effective Communicator:
• You know being a good listener is one of the best ways to be a good communicator.
• You are clear, direct, and respectful in your requests and feedback.
• You know a friendly tone goes a long way.
• Positive Attitude
• Last but not least, you have a positive, professional, can-do attitude.
• Lean UX design tactics
• Experience designing, conducting, and analyzing moderated and unmoderated user tests that align with UX best practices;
• Responsive + adaptive web and app design;
• Adobe Suite: Primarily Photoshop and Illustrator;
• While you won't be required to code your projects, a fundamental understanding of HTML/CSS is required;
• Experience/familiarity with PreK-12 educators, and parents, and the digital products that support them will be a big plus in this role
• While a degree is preferred, we know experience, skills and talent come in a variety of formats.
An online portfolio that shows off your skills is required. In your cover letter, please include why you think you would be a good fit for the PBS digital design team, what relevant experiences you have and what PBS means to you.
Must have received or be willing to receive the COVID-19 vaccination by date of hire to be considered. Proof of vaccination required.
PBS is an Equal Opportunity Employer in accordance with the EEOC and the Commonwealth of Virginia.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-rb660k-18-232-179-5-42 in your application.