POSITION TITLE: NOC Technician (On-site)
DEPARTMENT: Distribution Operations & Engineering
CORPORATE AREA: Digital & Marketing
STATUS: Full-Time, Non-Exempt
SUPERVISOR: Director, Network Operations Center
Provide operational support of the PBS distribution systems located at the PBS Technology Center in Springfield, Virginia.
Key responsibilities will include, but are not limited to:
• Maintain operational support of systems to meet the PBS goal of 99.95% on-air reliability. (95%)
• Provide support for master control, ingest and Quality Control (QC) functions.
• Monitor multiple program streams fed via satellite to PBS member stations.
• Report issues pertaining to media transfers and missing media.
• Respond, resolve, and escalate system issues (on air & off air).
• Modify automation schedules (playlist and record) to accommodate last minute changes.
• Monitor live record functions controlled by automation.
• Monitor the technical performance of the automation system and associated devices.
• Monitor the technical performance of the video servers and associated playout and record ports.
• Coordinate tape ingests and any last-minute schedule changes with other PBS T&O units and departments
• Log operational problems by issuing an air discrepancy report or equipment trouble report.
• Maintain transmission logs.
• Perform technical evaluations on program submissions to determine if the material conforms to the PBS Technical Operating Specifications (TOS).
• Write, review, and update operational SOP's (on a quarterly basis).
• Participate in meetings to review, update, or modify operational workflows or procedures.
• Perform other duties as assigned (5%)
Requirements for success:
• Bachelor's degree in Communications or related discipline or industry experience
• Minimum two years of prior master control experience in a broadcast or cable television environment.
• Excellent computer skills including Microsoft Word, Excel, and Outlook.
• Knowledge of analog and digital television, video, audio, control, automation, tape, video servers, switchers, and other television equipment.
• Knowledge of public television including the needs of PBS, member stations and producers.
• Knowledge and experience with the following systems or equivalent.
• Omnibus automation
• BroadView traffic system
• Miranda i-Control monitoring & control system
• ScheduALL resource scheduling system
• Ability to work independently on assignments and report back on progress.
• Excellent time management skills – must be able to prioritize tasks and adapt to rapidly changing system requirements with minimum supervision.
• Excellent stress and crisis management skills – must be able to make informed and appropriate decisions under pressure.
• Strong interpersonal and communications skills – must be able to work comfortably in highly diverse, cross departmental teams and interact effectively with member station representatives.
• Experience in a broadcast or cable television environment is required.
• Experience in public broadcasting preferred.
• This position is shift based and will require evening, overnight, holiday and weekend work.
• This position requires standing, and the ability to lift physical equipment.
• Must have received or be willing to receive the COVID-19 vaccination by date of hire to be considered. Proof of vaccination required.
PBS is an Equal Opportunity Employer in accordance with the EEOC and the Commonwealth of Virginia.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-gwv8x2-3-236-146-28-42 in your application.