Content Manager, Early Learning
Engineering Lead, Services
Team: Product Development
Please note: This position is fully funded through September 30, 2021, and will be renewed on receipt of additional federal appropriations approval annually through September 30, 2025.
Product Development is looking for an Engineering Lead to oversee the engineering efforts behind our APIs, cloud services, and backend systems. PBS is on the cutting edge of content delivery and analytics, and this role will help shape systems that serve millions of children every day.
The position is funded by a Ready To Learn grant from the U.S. Department of Education to the Corporation for Public Broadcasting (CPB) and PBS. The CPB-PBS Ready To Learn Initiative focuses on the development, dissemination, and evaluation of content across media and platforms for children ages 2-8 designed to improve learning outcomes and increase school readiness.
Some projects you will be part of
• A serverless data collector and pipeline that helps researchers analyze the learning impacts of game play
• An A/B testing system for games and websites
• A GraphQL API that enables user facing applications to access meaningful data across many systems
• Serverless state machines that keep user facing content up-to-date and available
What you will be doing
• Manage, mentor, and grow a team of software engineers
• Architect cloud solutions and execute technical approaches for APIs, data pipelines, analytics systems, state machines, event busses, and more
• Pioneer serverless approaches to distributed data systems using GraphQL
• Partner with the Engineering Leads for Web and Gaming to track inter-dependencies and architect solutions to cross-product problems
• Act as a Player-Coach by contributing some code on projects. We expect about 25% of your time to be coding.
• Oversee contractors, vendors, and consultants
• Prototype new features or applications
• Research new technologies, tools, and processes
• Collaborate closely with product owners, project managers, and design leads to establish technical requirements, estimate levels of effort, and plan technical execution
Technologies you should love
• GraphQL (We currently use Apollo)
• Amazon Web Services (Lambda, Step Functions, API Gateway, Kinesis, and more)
• Build processes and tools like GitHub Actions, Jenkins, and Bash scripts
• Serverless technologies like Lambda, Step Functions, and API Gateway
• Web technologies like HTML5, CSS3, and progressive web apps
What you should have
• 3 – 5 years experience in engineering management or technical leadership
• Experience managing remote teams of contractors and vendors
• Comfort working on projects that perform under high traffic volume
• Excellent communication skills across technical and non-technical groups
• Experience juggling multiple projects and priorities while maintaining a big picture view
PBS and our member stations are America’s largest classroom, the nation’s largest stage for the arts and a trusted window to the world. In addition, PBS's educational media helps prepare children for success in school and opens up the world to them in an age-appropriate way.