The Reflect America Fellowship
NPR wants to look and sound like America in all that we do, so we're seeking a tenacious journalist to work with producers, reporters, hosts and editors to bring the many voices of the country to our audience.
We're looking for someone who stays on top of the news, is well-versed in a wide range of topics, and wants to learn and grow in one of the nation's most dynamic news organizations. In this fellowship, you'll find, vet and book a diversity of sources for stories and interviews on the radio, online and in podcasts. You'll coach colleagues across a variety of topics, and you'll do a reporting rotation with one of NPR's news teams.
As a fellow, you'll expand your skills and portfolio, working and learning alongside journalists whose award-winning stories inform millions of people and provoke change.
This is a full-time, 12-month, paid fellowship that begins on August 15, 2022. The application deadline is December 12, 2021 at 11:59 p.m. ET.
Want to know what it's like? Ask Pien Huang [PHuang@npr.org/@Pien_Huang], the first Reflect America Fellow, now a reporter covering domestic health for NPR's Science Desk; or Ashish Valentine [AValentine@npr.org/@ashishval], a production assistant on All Things Considered; or current fellow Miranda Mazariegos [MMazariegos@npr.org /@mirimazariegos], who is completing a rotation on Weekend All Things Considered.
• Work with editors, producers and reporters to find and track new, diverse sources and get them on the air, and into podcasts and online stories
• Report for three months with one of NPR's core news teams
• Work with NPR researchers on our ongoing sourcing efforts, helping NPR find new ways to keep tabs on the diversity of sources
• Other duties as assigned
• At least two years journalism experience (including internships and fellowships) in any medium
• Fluency in digital content and social media platforms
• Proven ability to work independently and collaboratively
• Experience writing with clarity
• A college degree or equivalent work experience
• Fluency in another language, especially Spanish
• Experience with sourcing and reaching out to subject-matter experts
• Project management skills
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-dyo9j3-54-158-251-104-42 in your application.