Temporary Engagement Editor, Digital News
Across our organization, we're building a workplace where collaboration is essential, diverse voices are heard, and inclusion is the key to our success.
NPR is seeking an experienced engagement editor for afternoons and evenings to help our content reach new audiences.
This position is part of a team tasked with understanding, engaging and growing NPR's digital audiences. Core responsibilities include curating the best of NPR's content offerings for promotion on the NPR's homepage and social accounts like Facebook/Twitter as well as sending breaking news alerts. In short, they need to select stories, audio, photos and other visual elements for optimal presentation and engagement.
This editor will work with journalists across the newsroom and network to determine coverage priorities and story framing, keeping a close eye on opportunities to reach audiences through the two dominant avenues of contemporary audience behavior: search and social. They will improve headlines to make stories more compelling to the audience and ensure that we are being mindful of best SEO publishing practices -- especially in breaking and competitive news situations. This position requires a 40-hour week that generally includes weekday afternoons and evenings from 1pm-9pm.
• At least five years of experience in daily journalism (digital or print).
• At least two years of experience in editorial decision-making.
Bachelor's degree in journalism, English, or writing-intensive discipline and/or equivalent work experience.
• Programs the npr.org homepage and other special collections.
• Coordinates with colleagues on coverage priorities and framing with an eye towards what will appeal to younger and more diverse audiences.
Assists with future planning for the web and homepage.
• Helps shape digital engagement plans for projects and series.
• Work on deadline and under pressure, to write and edit headlines, teasers and other display copy and visuals for incoming stories.
• Analyzes metrics to understand and better serve the digital audience.
• Writes news alerts for breaking news and feature stories.
• Assists with social media programming as necessary.
• Ability and willingness to work various shifts including evenings, and potentially weekends, early mornings, and/or holidays.
• Demonstrated excellence in editorial judgement, news writing, editing, and headline writing.
• Experience with social media channels, including Facebook and Twitter.
• Strong knowledge of Associated Press style.
• Understanding of journalistic ethics. Experience maintaining high journalistic standards under deadline pressure, including standards of objectivity, balance and fairness.
• Willingness to learn skills necessary to work on digital platforms; ability to adapt to changes in equipment, software and workflow.
• Ability to handle multiple and complex projects simultaneously under stringent time frames and changing priorities/conditions.
• Ability to work independently and with members of a cooperative team, demonstrating at all times respect for the diverse constituencies at NPR and within the public radio system.
• Ability to work quickly and efficiently under deadline pressure.
Familiarity with Chartbeat and Google Analytics and other sources of engagement data.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-d550q3-3-227-235-216-42 in your application.