Washington Desk Editor (temp)
Across our organization, we're building a workplace where collaboration is essential, diverse voices are heard, and inclusion is the key to our success.
NPR's Washington Desk covers the White House, Congress, the Supreme Court, the Justice Department and electoral politics. We value original reporting, insightful analysis and explanatory journalism. We're known for our work ethic and entrepreneurial spirit, and our stories often lead NPR's broadcast shows and NPR.org. We also produce a popular daily podcast, The NPR Politics Podcast, on our desk.
This Washington Desk editor will help edit the team covering Congress for NPR's broadcast and digital platforms. On any given day, the Hill reporters are juggling multiple news and feature stories, and this editor will play a key role in shaping their stories and interacting with the network's shows and digital platforms on their behalf. This editor will also work closely with the rest of the desk's editing team and help decide what the desk's reporters publish for digital, and when, and communicate those decisions across the network.
This is a temporary job beginning in August of 2021 and lasting until mid-February 2022.
The job requires attention to detail, big picture thinking and concern about craft. The editor must have excellent news judgment and the ability to work collaboratively -- but also have the confidence to work independently. This editor should have experience and a passion for covering political and policy news. A premium will be placed on candidates with digital editing experience.
• Edit the Congress team alongside another editor, assigning news and feature stories for broadcast and digital platforms, and seeing those stories to fruition;
• Work with co-editor to set priorities for Congressional reporters and represent them to shows, newscast, digital and other NPR platforms;
• Provide guidance on editorial and logistical matters related to Congress to all platforms;
• Work with entire Washington Desk editing team to set priorities across the desk, brainstorm reporting targets and story ideas;
• Fill in for Washington digital editor who handles communication and coordination about the desk's digital output with other digital entities across NPR;
• Other editing duties as assigned.
EDUCATION: Bachelor's degree from an accredited four-year college or university or equivalent required.
• Strong oral and written communication skills;
• 5+ years of experience editing news stories at the national level;
• Experience in editorial decision-making, including assigning reporters/correspondents;
• Ability to handle multiple and complex projects simultaneously under stringent time frames and changing priorities/conditions;
• Ability to work quickly and efficiently under deadline pressure;
• Ability and willingness to work varied shifts;
• Demonstrated team collaboration and leadership skills;
• Experience in digital media, including editing copy.
• Experience editing for radio;
• Experience editing breaking news;
• Experience covering Congress;
• Familiarity with NPR member stations and public media system;
• Expertise in writing, with excellence in news writing, copy editing and headline writing;
• Demonstrated ability to generate and execute complex creative ideas, to assimilate and organize large amounts of information.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-rekq82-3-235-60-144-42 in your application.