Across our organization, we're building a workplace where collaboration is essential, diverse voices are heard, and inclusion is the key to our success.
All applications must include a resume and cover letter to be considered.
NPR seeks a Broadcast Recording Technician to join our audio engineering team. This position will work directly with journalists, producers, and engineers at NPR and throughout the public radio system to ensure the production and delivery of high-quality audio in a timely and precise manner.
Primary duties include engineering live broadcasts of NPR programming, audio restoration and repair, Master Control operation, troubleshooting technical problems, and collaborating with reporters and producers in a variety of settings.
Our technicians work in broadcast studios, a master control facility, and throughout the networked newsroom to provide technical support and guidance in a fast-paced, deadline driven, 24x7x365 production environment.
Our ideal candidate is a proactive, courteous, customer service focused, audio expert who is passionate and curious about technology and believes in the mission of NPR.
• Assemble and mix complex live broadcasts and record pre-produced elements working with producers and directors in a high-pressure environment
• Promote and maintain NPR's quality standards by identifying and repairing impaired audio
• Analyze, repair and mix audio on tight deadlines using common tools (equalizers, compressors, noise reduction, etc.)
• QC, mix, and sweeten podcasts before publication using DAVID Systems MTE and AVID Pro Tools
• Monitor inbound and outbound audio streams and associated automated play-out systems. Rectify technical outages and respond to programming schedule changes quickly and accurately
• Schedule, connect, and route audio transmissions (IP, ISDN, T1, etc.)
• Test and ensure preparedness of in-house and remote broadcast and production systems
• Consult, train, and support journalists in the use of NPR technical facilities and remote recording and transmission equipment
• Teach and encourage best production practices and workflows
• Provide technical support for remote events including site assessment and venue coordination
• Troubleshoot unexpected situations confidently, calmly, and effectively
• Communicate clearly with both editorial and technical colleagues
• Keep abreast of current and emerging audio broadcast equipment, systems, and workflows
• Write and update documentation for user support guides
EDUCATION: Bachelors or Masters Degree in audio engineering or related field of study preferred.
• Two years' technical experience with audio production (broadcast, live sound reinforcement, music recording, theatre, post production, ENG)
• Professional and courteous demeanor supporting a varied and demanding client base
• Exceptional oral and written communication skills and ability to author training guides and operating procedures
• Proven multitasking capabilities for fast approaching deadlines
• Proven ability to identify and correct audio impairments and mix audio to established loudness standards
• Professional broadcast experience, preferably within public media
• Mixing while taking live direction from editorial staff (broadcast, sound reinforcement, etc.)
• Advanced computer troubleshooting, networking, or software development abilities
• ISDN, IP, satellite, and smartphone audio transmission techniques
• Familiarity with Lawo, DAVID Systems, AVID Pro Tools, and iZotope products
• Operation of scheduling and audio routing automation tools
• Remote transmission and field recording proficiency
• Music recording, mixing, and mastering expertise
• Audio for video, post-production, and sound design competence
• IT service desk or networking experience
• Teaching or training experience
• This is a union position (NABET)
• Broadcast Recording Technicians are required to work rotating shifts that include early mornings, late nights, overnights, weekends, and holidays
• The onboarding process for new hires includes substantial training and opportunities to shadow our audio engineering staff on a variety of shifts
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-rzkzz7-34-204-180-223-42 in your application.