Soundcheck - Production Manager
The first Tiny Desk Concert came about in 2008 after Bob Boilen and NPR Music editor Stephen Thompson left South by Southwest frustrated that they couldn't hear the music over the crowd noise. Thompson joked that the musician, folk singer Laura Gibson, should just perform at Boilen's desk. A month later Boilen arranged for her to do just that, making an impromptu recording and posting it online.
Since those first acoustic concerts, Tiny Desk has grown to encompass almost any genre you can imagine, from hip-hop and R&B to rock en español. From the time T-Pain shocked the world in 2014 when he performed at NPR headquarters without Auto-Tune, Tiny Desk views on YouTube have grown an astounding 1400%, reaching 492 Million views in 2020 alone and 1.6 Billion over the past 12 years. The series has also developed a global fanbase, with more than 70 countries around the world surpassing 1 Million views.
The Tiny Desk Concert series has grown to become NPR's biggest digital program.
NPR Music is looking for an experienced video producer to help produce engaging and entertaining Tiny Desk concerts and content. The position requires the ability to shoot and edit video quickly, consistently and with distinction, as well as a desire to think creatively about building new audiences for NPR's music programming. Ideal candidates bring enthusiasm for a broad range of music genres and experience working with multi-faceted teams. Together with a team of music producers and video journalists, this team member will help grow the audience for the Tiny Desk brand. This position will report to the Supervising Editor for Video.
Across our organization, we're building a workplace where collaboration is essential, diverse voices are heard, and inclusion is the key to our success.
• Direct and edit 1-2 Tiny Desk concerts per week and as needed
• Edit Tiny Desk (Home) concerts as needed
• Manage and maintain gear inventory
• Assist with filming and editing additional material with artists such as 'behind the scenes interviews, b-roll, and social content for YouTube, Instagram and other 3rd party platforms
• Assist with special Tiny Desk productions as needed
• Assist with Tiny Desk Contest social and video deliverables
• Assist with Tiny Desk diversity tracking
• Assist with community outreach on YouTube and Instagram
• Assist with other NPR Music video projects as needed
• Perform basic post-production techniques: text graphics, sound design, and color correction.
• Be familiar with copyright law and synchronization rights.
• Work Location- NPR-Washington DC, however the temporary ability to work remotely is available.
• Willingness to work flexible hours. Occasional travel required.
• Other duties as assigned.
Education: Bachelor's degree from a four-year college or university with a specialization in film, video, media production, photography or journalism preferred.
• At least 3 years of video production experience, preferably with a major network, studio or creative agency.
• Mastery of Adobe Creative Cloud programs related to video, photography, color and design. (Photoshop, Illustrator, After Effects, Premiere)
• Proven ability to edit and produce video content with a daily cadence
• Ability to handle multiple and complex projects simultaneously under stringent time frames and changing priorities/conditions.
• Advanced knowledge of video camera equipment and associated gear
• Demonstrated commitment to increasing audience diversity.
• Knowledge of social and streaming platforms, accompanying formats and best practices.
• Demonstrated commitment to music, the arts and culture.
• Excellent communication and writing skills.
• Must be able to lift video equipment weighing up to 30 pounds.
PREFERRED COMPETENCIES & SKILLS
• Ability to work independently and with members of a cooperative team, demonstrating at all times respect for the diverse constituencies at NPR and in the entertainment world.
• Knowledge of R&B, Hip Hop, Latin music and jazz and/or African American and 'World' music traditions and culture.
• The selected candidate will have demonstrated leadership skills with the ability to work collaboratively with teams and stakeholders. The selected candidate will monitor and track the progress of projects while ensuring projects are delivered on-time, within scope and within budget.
• Experience creating social media visual assets.
NPR is committed to increasing the diversity of our staff and welcomes interest in this position from people of color and other underrepresented identities.
Want more NPR? Explore the stories behind the stories on our NPR Extra blog. Get social with NPR Extra on Facebook and following @NPRExtra and #NPRLife on Twitter and Instagram. Find more career opportunities at NPR.org/careers and on Twitter at @NPRJobs.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-d871wx-3-237-29-69-42 in your application.
NPR is an independent, nonprofit media organization that was founded on a mission to create a more informed public. Every day, NPR connects with millions of Americans on the air, online, and in person to explore the news, ideas, and what it means to be human.