They say Michigan only has two seasons: winter and construction. But WLNS-TV is looking for someone who is passionate about the new life in sprint, beautiful summer days and nights, incredible foliage in the fall, and yes - some frigid winters.
We're looking for a full time meteorologist or weather person.
This person must be passionate about the weather and an excellent communicator and forecaster. We want someone who understands the science and who can explain it in plain English.
We take the weather seriously here. We track storms, we chase storms, and we win awards for our weather coverage. When there's severe weather, we're on first, we're off last, and we broadcast on our website even when we're not on TV.
• Produces and presents weather reports for all platforms.
• Ensures that all weather content meets company standards for journalistic integrity and production quality.
• Writes and delivers weather stories in a clear and concise manner.
• Assists in writing, copy editing, researching and coordinating weather programming and other content.
• Responds to breaking and/or severe weather events and other urgent newsrooms situations as required.
• Works closely with the weather team to develop comprehensive weather coverage.
• Participates in promotional activities including public appearances.
• Performs special projects and other duties as assigned.
• Writes web stories detailing the local forecast on a daily basis.
• Interacts with viewers and users on social media sites.
Requirements & Skills:
• Bachelor's degree in Meteorology, or a related field, or an equivalent combination of education and work-related experience.
• This job involves doing the morning and evening shows on weekends and working two other days during the week.
• This person will often be responsible for ''Weather Wednesday'' - a franchise that explains weather-related issues and phenomena
• Fluency in English.
• Excellent communication skills, both oral and written with the ability to ad lib when required.
• Superior on-air presence.
• Experience guiding, directing and motivating others.
• Ability to identify the developmental needs of others and to coach, mentor or otherwise help others to improve their knowledge or skills.
• Proficiency with computers, telephones, copiers, scanners, fax machines and other office equipment.
• Ability to meet deadlines, prioritize assignments and handle multiple tasks simultaneously.
• Ability to effectively listen to fully understand problems and communicate with a team to shape a solution.
• Strong understanding of the field of meteorology and a proven track record of forecasting.
• Experience with the WSI system is a plus, but not essential. We have 2 Max systems, Livewire, Prism, WSI Mobile, 6 tower cams, and a chase vehicle with streaming capabilities.
• Valid driver's license with a good driving record.
• Flexibility to work any shift.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-d5kvj1-3-215-79-116-42 in your application.