This position serves as a Studio Camera Operator and also as a Newscast Director. The position is primarily a Studio Camera Operator with some duties as a Newscast Director. As a Newscast Director this position will serve as standby (or backup) to the Primary Newscast Director and will typically direct a minimum of one show per week, oftentimes more. As a Studio Camera operator, this position composes and frames camera shots, applying the technical aspects of lenses and camera settings to achieve the effects sought by Newscast Directors. As a Newscast Director, this position coordinates the efforts of all technical operators during newscasts and other live and recorded productions.
• Composes and frames shots, applying the technical aspects of light, lenses and camera settings to achieve the effects sought by directors
• Adjusts positions and controls of cameras to change focus, exposure and lighting as requested by the director
• Operates studio cameras during live broadcasts
• Operates remote cameras during live broadcasts
• Confers with directors and other crew members to discuss sequences, desired effects, camera movements and lighting requirements
• Sets up and performs shots for broadcasts
• Sets up cameras and related equipment
• Tests, cleans, maintains and repairs camera equipment
• Performs other duties as assigned
• Coordinates the efforts of all technical operators during newscasts and other live and recorded productions.
• Directly supervises and assigns duties to News technical staff including: Studio Camera, Audio and Teleprompter who are also engaged in technical control and production of programs.
• Observes pictures through monitors and directs camera/video staff concerning compositions.
• Acts as a liaison between Engineering, News and Creative Services Departments.
• Works with the News Staff including: News Producers, Anchors and Reporters, News Photographers and News Video Editors to deliver a clean and high-quality newscast.
• Switches video sources and given direction at the same time during live broadcasts.
• Tests equipment to ensure proper operation.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
• Ross OverDrive experience is preferred.
Requirements & Skills:
Must be able to perform all duties under high stress situations and conditions. Must have excellent interpersonal skills Excellent communication skills, both oral and written. Proficiency with computers, telephone, copiers, scanners, fax machines and other office equipment. Ability to meet deadlines, prioritize assignments and handle multiple tasks simultaneously.
Physical Demands & Work Environment:Must be able to stand, sit, reach, climb, conduct telephone conversations, use electronic mail, write letters and memos, conduct face-to-face discussions with individuals or groups, make decisions without supervision, and make decisions that impact the results of co-workers, work in close proximity to others, and work indoors in environmentally controlled conditions or outdoors during remote broadcasts.In addition, must be able to handle control or feel objects, tools or controls.Repetitive movements are required.Must be able to climb ladder.Must be able to life, set up and operate equipment weighing up to 50 pounds.