Program Manager, Innovation Management
Los Gatos, CA
About the Team
The Data Abstraction Platform team is part of Cloud Data Engineering (CDE) -- an organization that provides Persistence as a Service to the rest of Netflix. CDE develops and operates world-scale storage services such as databases and caching solutions that enable other teams to focus on building a phenomenal product.
The Data Abstraction Platform team is focused on raising the level of data abstractions by building simple and efficient solutions on top of distributed data stores such as Apache Cassandra, Elasticsearch, Memcached, CockroachDB, etc., in order to satisfy a wide range of use cases here at Netflix such as counter, flexible key-value, time series etc. We build and operate a flexible data gateway that facilitates data abstractions to operate at sub-millisecond latencies serving 10's of millions of operations per second. Abstractions such as these are allowing Netflix micro-services to more easily store, consume, and manage their data. This team holds a substantial responsibility in enabling Netflix microservices to satisfy their ever-growing and evolving data needs.
About the Role
Our team is looking for an outstanding Senior Software Engineer to help us develop the platform and data abstractions that will scale Netflix in its mission to entertain the world! As part of this team, you'll be working on high performance proxies, caching, pub-sub messaging as well as containerized data abstractions while directly interacting with distributed data stores.
Our team is passionate about distributed data systems technology. We are active in the open source community and believe in operating what we own. We are a small team responsible for business critical systems and are committed to a culture of feedback and engineering excellence. We provide the freedom to execute, learn, and pivot, and the responsibility to be self-directed, collaborative, and insightful.
Here are a few recent talks and posts from members of our team that highlight some of the work we do:
• How Netflix Manages Version Upgrades of Cassandra at Scale
• Towards Practical Self-Healing Distributed Databases
• More talks from our team @ CDE Channel
If you can…
• Address complex problems at both an application and system level
• Collaborate effectively with teammates, technical partners, and the open source community
If you have…
• 5+ years of relevant software development experience
• Experience building and operating highly reliable, easy to use, impactful systems.
• Experience working with L4 and L7 proxies such as NGINX, Envoy or HAProxy.
• Experience working with containers
• Exceptional proficiency in at least one of Java, Go, Python or C++
• Great communication, partner, and customer focused skills.
• Experience or aptitude for building distributed systems
• Read about Netflix's culture and think you would thrive here.
If you practice…
• Rigorous design and code reviews
• Refactoring and applying software design patterns to improve and optimize code
• Commitment to high quality, maintainable software
• End to end ownership of software you build
• Working with and building partnerships with different teams across the company.
...Then we would love to talk to you!
We are remote inclusive and our culture is unique. We tend to live by our values, so it's worth learning more about Netflix here.
Netflix is the world's leading streaming entertainment service with nearly 200 million paid memberships in over 190 countries enjoying TV series, documentaries, and feature films across a wide variety of genres and languages. Members can watch as much as they want, anytime, anywhere, on any internet-connected screen. Members can play, pause, and resume watching, all without commercials or commitments.