Senior Software Engineer, Android Product Engineering
Los Gatos, CA
Netflix provides a fantastic entertainment experience to over 200 million global members. To succeed at this scale and deliver joy to the customers, we continuously innovate in the product and content engineering spaces. The key enabler of innovation is the sophisticated centralized platform used by Netflix engineers daily. A solid foundation allows software engineers to focus on the most important things for them instead of undifferentiated heavy-lifting of wiring lower-level components together. We are expanding our infrastructure team to deliver an even more delightful experience to our users.
In 2020 we built some prototypes proving those new ways of managing infrastructure were a huge benefit and an enabler to the company. We formed a new team in 2021 dedicated to this effort, and we need your help. If you are a senior engineer who is excited to challenge the status quo - join us. In this role, you'll be responsible for building alignment with stakeholders, designing and implementing a new generation of the infrastructure control plane. Together with your partners, you'll rationalize the domain model, introduce abstractions and APIs the rest of the company relies upon.
• Build and operate foundational pieces of infrastructure (Tier-0 services based on Kubernetes/k8s).
• Develop frameworks, systems, and standards, partner with others, and build a holistic model representing all Netflix infrastructure.
• Develop and implement a strategy for introducing fleet-wide changes to improve cost, security, observability, and agility.
• An ideal candidate should have the following skills, experience, and virtues. However, If you don't have all the items - it should not prevent you from applying for the role.
• Strong communication skills with an emphasis on written communication.
• Experience leading the project and building alignment with stakeholders.
• Experience managing infrastructure at a reasonably large scale.
• Experience working with public cloud providers (AWS, GCP, Azure).
• Understanding of core concepts of Kubernetes, experience using k8s.
• Solid computer science foundation: algorithms, distributed systems, etc.
• Knowledge of at least one of the modern programming languages: Go, Java, C++, etc.
• Nice to have:
• API Design skills
• Product Management experience
If you want to know about what Cloud Infrastructure teams are working on, check this out:
• Evolution of Edge @Netflix
• Scaling Push Messaging for Millions of Netflix Devices
• How Netflix is able to enrich VPC Flow Logs at Hyper-Scale to provide Network Insight
• Open Sourcing Zuul 2
• Keeping Customers Streaming - The Centralized Site Reliability Practice at Netflix
• Open-sourcing Titus
In 2020 we seeded the group with talented people who previously worked on compute, networking, security, and other aspects of infrastructure. We have a diverse set of backgrounds, both professional, technical, and cultural. We strongly believe such diversity has helped us build an inclusive and empathetic environment, and we are looking forward to adding your perspective to the mix!