VP Of Engineering For Content Acquisition and Finance Systems
Los Gatos, CA
About the team:
The Data Solutions team is part of Cloud Data Engineering (CDE) -- the organization responsible for persistence as a service for the rest of Netflix. CDE handles data at a tremendous scale (hundreds of TB at the caching layer and multiple PB in the persistence layer), and must continually plan for more as we build the next generation of entertainment.
The Data Solutions team represents CDE at Netflix. We work directly with developers across the company to understand their persistence needs and help them identify and use datastore offerings effectively, taking into account their performance and availability requirements.
We're looking for a teammate who's interested in distributed systems and databases, enjoys interacting with customers, and has an engineering mindset to develop infrastructure efficiency and capacity planning tooling.
What you'll be doing:
• As a Data Solutions Engineer, you will build a good understanding of a wide breadth of OSS and proprietary datastore offerings, their benefits, shortcomings, and secure data practices. You will use this knowledge to help customers use the right offering and configuration for their persistence needs.
• You will educate and evangelize best data practices to our customers through memos, educational sessions, labs and presentations.
• You will collaborate with other team members to build tools that can help handle various challenges in the solutions area, eg. proactive automated capacity planning, cost and efficiency improvements tools, as well as benchmarking tools to help evaluate different datastore options.
• You will collaborate with other CDE engineers to drive feature implementations and abstractions that are most valuable to our customers.
• You will drive migration initiatives and data model redesign when our customers' data needs evolve.
You'll be a great match if you have:
• Excellent communication skills and a customer-centric mindset
• Experience working with Cassandra, CockroachDB, Zookeeper or Elasticsearch
• Proficiency in Java, Scala, or Python
• Experience with cloud computing platforms such as AWS or GCP
• Understanding of scalability and reliability concerns for data-intensive applications
Even better if you also have
• Experience with on-call rotation
• Experience with schema design and data modeling
• Experience in developing high-leverage automation or analytics tooling
• Open-source contributions or passion projects on Github
Check out some of the interesting projects we're working on
• Building and Running Cloud Native Cassandra
• Announcing EVCache: Distributed in-memory datastore for Cloud
• More talks from our team @ CDE Youtube Channel
Netflix offers a creative culture that values freedom and responsibility. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability status, or other protected class. You can read more about our stance on diversity here.