Video Research Associate
Los Angeles, CA
Manager Of Editorial & Publishing - Strong Black Lead
The Editorial team at Netflix is on the pulse of conversation among our consumers - not just listening, but participating in and starting thoughtful, hilarious, exciting discussions with fans. Though part of the larger marketing organization, this team's work is unique in that we express a firm perspective on content and culture in the way a traditional media outlet would. As our slate of titles continues to grow and brand continues to take on new shapes, we're looking for a stellar digital communicator and strategist with a deep experience in and passion for the Black audience.
Strong Black Lead launched in 2018 with the historic and Emmy nominated ''A Great Day in Hollywood'' campaign, which crystalized this team's rallying cry that this is not a moment, this is a MOVEMENT. This person will help us continue the charge that Strong Black Lead started, and push us to think differently, make impact, and do the best work of their lives.
To be a successful Editorial Manager in this role, you'll need to have excellent judgment to balance the needs of the community and the needs of our business. You'll not only be thinking through new ways to talk about Netflix content with this incredibly important audience, but also larger cultural moments and trends that shape conversation for the nuanced and diverse Black audience. You need to be a super fan of entertainment, and deeply understand the complexities and nuances of Black Hollywood. This person will have experience leading content curation and creation, as well as the ability to strategize, ideate and build with partners across departments within Netflix. This person will need to be the cross functional expert of this audience, and have the courage to approach the work with the freshest of perspectives. Curiosity and innovation are absolutely paramount.
• Advance the long-term strategy -- alongside the current Strong Black Lead Manager -- to move our relevance and credibility with this audience forward
• Work with Audience Development team to meet ambitious growth goals without compromising creative integrity
• Manage a team of freelance writers, video/podcast producers, and production companies
• Build relationships both inside and outside of Netflix to increase the access and credibility of the brand with the Black community
• Work closely with our cross-functional partners (publicity, marketing, creative and content) to elevate thinking and bring different disciplines along with you. A big idea isn't a big idea if you're doing it alone.
• Build and manage large scale budgets
• Stay on top of trends, timely events, and upcoming title launches to seize on reactive opportunities for this audience
• Regularly interact with talent, PR reps, and influencers to build understanding and trust of what Strong Black Lead is trying to achieve
• Be experimental with content, take risks with what you're creating, be ambitious and original
The ideal candidate is/has....
• Deep knowledge of the platforms that are important to this audience, how to properly leverage them, and why certain content is shareable across certain platforms
• A background in journalism and/or content creation, and an understanding of video across all social platforms
• The ability to tell an engaging, cohesive story through any visual or audio medium (Twitter thread, Instagram post, YouTube video, Podcast, etc.)
• Respect and understanding for Netflix culture - no brilliant jerks
• Meaningful experience working directly with talent and talent representation, in meetings and on shoots/sets. You'll be presenting our marketing plans to showrunners, filmmakers, producers, talent, and executives. You should be a strong presenter; confident and collected - and great with talent
• Strong perspective with flexibility to graciously and gracefully pivot when new information is presented
• Clear, effective communication skills (both written and verbal) and the confidence to advocate for our team and the Black audience in a room where talent or executives may have differing opinions
• Solid understanding of marketing and social media analytics and can apply a data-centric approach to the testing and optimization of content
• High tolerance for change, and the capacity to accomplish enormous amounts in a fast-paced, ever-changing environment.
• Deep understanding of how cultural trends form, and the ability to anticipate and act on it.
• Proven track record of creating content that gets written, shared, and talked about. Constantly coming up with ideas, with a high level of taste.
• You imagine and interpret problems and opportunities that we must tackle in the future. Ability to define these problems and opportunities for our business and connect that to the day to day work.
• You're not daunted by problems, but inspired by them. Able to break down an issue into components that can be addressed tactically.
• Be a risk taker with strong instincts that back up a willingness to do what no other brand would