Editorial and Publishing Director
We are Netflix's Editorial & Publishing team. A team of storytellers, editors, producers and writers, and we are all huge fans of entertainment. We're creating a whole new approach to talking about entertainment. Our mission is to build the most influential entertainment media and publishing outlet that bring joy to fans in Japan and all around the world.
We want to make content that is as entertaining outside of the Netflix service as it is on Netflix. Content that brings communities together over shared passions. Content that helps our fans discover new shows, movies, and talent or fall more deeply in love with something they've already seen.
Today we have 250 million fans on our social platforms globally, 150 thousand new global followers daily, and 10 billion global impressions per quarter. For context, that's twice the population of Japan in fans, twice the size of a stadium in new daily followers, and more than twice the number of pages on the internet in impressions each quarter. But we're just getting started.
Though part of the larger marketing organization, our team's work is unique in that we express a perspective on content the way an editorial media outlet would. You'll be looking at new ways to talk about our shows and films, both from Japan and Netflix originals from around the world, and have a great skill for bringing these stories and narratives into the news cycle and social zeitgeist through editorial A/V content.
Are you an experienced producer with a deep passion, appreciation, and understanding of TV, Film and anime? Do you have a passion for developing operational systems and workflows that lead to best in class creative work? If so, you might be Netflix Japan's Editorial Production Lead.
In this role, you will collaborate with your teammates on Editorial & Publishing to facilitate the production, publication, and analysis across E&P's ecosystem of owned and earned channels. You will develop and uphold workflows with your direct peers to keep productions on track and know when to bring them in on creative decisions. You also will know how to work with and influence cross-functional partners to facilitate E&P's content creation.
You'll be trusted to have your finger on the pulse of online content creation and to find ways to innovate in this field. You will have an arsenal of partners and suppliers and know to connect the right Production service companies for the right jobs to deliver exceptional content.
You will be meticulous with organization, attention to detail and stakeholder management. From legal protocol, budgeting and payments, to talent contracts, you are fluent on the many moving parts that go into content creation. You drive a hard bargain, can negotiate and can hustle as and when required, always keeping your eye on the prize of great editorial content creation.
You understand that not one size fits all, and that different mediums will require different solutions. You are just as comfortable managing a production's call sheet as you are developing systems and workflows for social media platforms.
Most of all, you are a team player who thrives in a fast paced, collaborative environment.
Background & Skills:
The ideal candidate will have a natural passion for entertainment, a deep understanding of internet culture and a knack for spotting and shepherding great storytelling in the digital space. To that extent, we are seeking candidates with more than five years of production experience working on either client and agency side. In addition, we also look at:
- Fluent in Japanese and English. While the consumer-facing output of the work will be in Japanese, many internal communications are handled in English. Netflix is a memo and debate-intensive culture and team members are expected to participate and contribute to strategic discussions often and significantly.
- Solid grasp of analytics and social listening tools. We don't let data determine our actions but we do rely on it to inform our judgement and intuition. You don't need to be a spreadsheet pivot table genius to work here but you do need to have a good grasp of analytics in order to ask the right questions to our analytical partners.
- Talent management skills. Aside from understanding how to behave professionally around talent, we value the capacity to earn trust with them, their representatives and showrunners -- a key part of obtaining buy-in for creative ideas and executions.
The Netflix culture attracts daredevils who exhibit good judgment, innovation, selflessness, courage, impact, candid communication, passion, and intellectual curiosity. Read the culture memo to learn what it's actually like working for Netflix.
• Building and upholding infrastructure to support organization, workflows and efficiencies around creative work and production
• Identification and oversight of internal and external resources for E&P's production
• End-to-end management of productions and shoots to support editorial programming
• Legal & financial management of all activities pertaining to editorial content production
• Nurture, establish and manage a network of creative producers, external agencies and providers to establish a pipeline of suppliers
• Vendor management & PSC identification and engagement to ensure their skills set match our requirements
• Cultivate cross-functional relationships (content, publicity, marketing, physical production, legal, accounts) to ensure you have the best information and the ability to execute against the team's needs
Netflix Japan will not accept unsolicited resumes or applications from recruitment agencies, and we will not be responsible for any related fees. Please do not forward resumes to our career page or employees.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-g3vw9n-3-235-184-215-42 in your application.