AV Manager, Product Creative Studio
Los Angeles, CA
In the role of our US Instagram Manager, you will be responsible for the day-to-day management of our @Netflix Instagram channel, working with an external team of writers and designers. You will also be responsible for overall channel growth and publishing strategy, and creative format development from ideation through production.
To be a successful creative and strategic thought leader in this role, you will need to collaborate with our editorial creative development team, brand marketing team, audience and genre channels and title marketing managers to understand business priorities and program content to serve the biggest social channel at Netflix. To be a creative programmer, you'll need to have an acute understanding of what's trending but also how and when that should be translated to a broader platform. You will have a holistic vision around how we can serve our most engaged Gen Z fans while balancing the needs of the business in the US that do not fit neatly into the idea of what Gen Z is stanning on TikTok. Excellent judgement, clear and concise communication, impeccable taste, sharp copy-writing skills and an authentic love for the intersection of entertainment, pop culture and Instagram is needed to balance our audience interests with the needs of our business. Like a game of jump rope, timing is everything when it comes to great social and it's more defined by what you don't do vs. what you do.
High Level Strategy & Creative
• Lead, shape and implement the programming vision and channel strategy for the Netflix US Instagram by marrying the two core goals of talking about what Gen Z loves and highlighting the biggest priorities for the business in the US though those two things may sometimes be at odds
• Cultivate close cross-functional relationships across editorial and title marketing managers to syndicate the best content from our audience, title and genre channels to our broadest following
• Consistently ideate and create content with a strong hook, point of view, and personality, using innovative approaches to format, structure and presentation of content
• Be experimental with content; take risks with what you're creating; be ambitious and original. Turn one-off hits into successful repeatable formats.
• Use internal and external social analytics and other internal data to inform strategy and detect new opportunities
• Stay on top of trends, timely events, and upcoming title launches to seize on reactive opportunities for the audience
• Develop relationships with our reps over at Instagram - ensure we know about product updates, opportunities to be included in Beta tests, platform best practices, etc.
Tactical Channel Management
• Build and manage annual budget for US Instagram channel
• In coordination with the creative development manager; review, edit, and approve preliminary and final treatments, selects, graphics, music, rough cuts and final versions of all applicable new programming
• Maintain IG programming schedule in our proprietary scheduling system
• Prepare and post content on platforms in accurate, timely manner
• Respond to comments from fans, talent, and notable influencers -- identifying unique opportunities to elevate community conversation
• Work with production partners (editorial managers & title teams) to approve title specific content, build out schedule, and make sure all projects are delivering on time and creatively sound
The ideal candidate is/has...
• Strong Creative Instincts You're a creative visionary constantly thinking of new ideas for posts, IG stories, and recurring features. You are constantly looking for new ways to delight and inspire a global audience and have a proven track record of creating content that gets tagged, shared, and talked about.
• Impeccable Communication Skills There are a lot of teams that want space for their titles on the biggest social channel the company has; you will be working with a core team of creatives as well as large group of Netflix editorial and title managers in the US who will come in and out of the work on the periphery. You are clear and concise in speech and writing, you maintain calm poise in stressful situations, you are transparent and thoughtful in your communication about why or why you are not doing something and you are curious to learn what is working on other Instagram channels.
• Attention to Detail We move quickly at Netflix and plans often change at the last minute. You have strong attention to detail from grammar in your writing, to spotting typos in captions, to making up to the minute time and file changes in our content calendar and can handle several projects with this level of detail at a time.
• Excellent Creative Writing Skills The Netflix Instagram account has a fun, sincere, tone of voice. We built our following being a ''millennial meme account'', but we now need to find ways to broaden our voice and tone to include content that doesn't automatically fall into the Gen Z purview. You will need to creatively find ways to intertwine these goals.
• Deep Understanding of Instagram Platform You know what file formats are needed for IGTV, how to optimize IGTV videos for in feed preview, and have already come up with successful REELS formats. You strive for high quality downloads over screengrabs and are deeply interested in asset performance and the future of the platform.
• Ability to Be Nimble Things. Change. Constantly. You're nimble and don't get stressed by last minute priority changes or asks. You can adapt quickly to new asset requests without losing sight of other priorities. You identify creative opportunities that start in the community and work to make them bigger and bigger and bigger!
• YOU LOVE COMMUNITY MANAGEMENT Community Management - interacting with our audience, developing relationships and inside jokes, and being willing to be both vulnerable and funny with our users - is the backbone of the Netflix Instagram account. You are strategic in who, when, and what you respond to. You love building online community and being a part of it!
• Respect and understanding for Netflix culture - no brilliant jerks