Senior Software Engineer, Android Product Engineering
Los Gatos, CA
At Netflix we connect people around the world with stories they will love. It's an exciting time to join as we continue to transform entertainment globally. And it's an incredible challenge and humbling opportunity as we seek to bring joy to over 200 million households in more than 190 countries.
In Interactive, we believe that we can go beyond traditional linear television or film presentation by combining innovative applications of technology with some of the world's best storytelling. Our goal is to create new types of stories and new product experiences that enhance & deepen member engagement.
Black Mirror: Bandersnatch paved groundbreaking paths for branching narrative as a storytelling form. The opportunity before us is to expand our slate of interactive innovations and capabilities, including but not limited to new types of features, game-like experiences, and different ways of interacting with stories. It's time to reimagine the future of entertainment yet again.
In this uncommon leadership opportunity, you will lead the entire Netflix Interactive initiative and product's investment in this emergent space. This is an exceptional leadership role requiring vision, strategy, and creative influence along with a strong, analytical, portfolio-based approach to driving feature innovation and product management.
What we are looking for...
This role is a leader on the Product Content Innovation team, which sits at the intersection of the product org and all content studios at Netflix. The team plays an integral role in driving shared learning and mutual innovation across product and content. As such, we seek someone who can fluidly move among both worlds, applying strong product principles and strategic frameworks to a creative space. The ideal candidate is ambidextrous in terms of ''right'' and ''left'' brain. One moment they may be drawing out creative ideas and inspiring new, previously-unimagined possibilities, and the next demonstrating rigor, transparency, and discipline in clearly-articulated, business-driven, outcome-oriented decision-making. We seek someone forward-thinking and future-oriented, but practically-minded in how to get there.
A successful candidate will not be afraid to push the bounds of what's possible in storytelling or on the Netflix platform today. They'll have the creativity to look at problems in new ways, the discipline to use rigorous testing to find out what works, a balance of creativity and analytic skills, and boldness to try new things.
It is a requirement that candidates have strong portfolio-level product management experience, preferably operating at scale or bringing new products to scale. Nice to haves include applicable experiences from other industries, such as (including but not limited to) creative experience in game development or business experience managing a diverse portfolio of innovation investments.
What you will do:
• Set a strategic vision and success metrics for the initiative, including balancing investments in current projects and testing and rolling out new types of interactive experiences, across platforms and across the globe
• Lead a talented cross-functional team in evolving the current framework and defining and executing on test and launch of innovative new ideas
• Roll out large-scale product efforts, leveraging the best of strategy & analysis, content, design, production, program management, platform & ui engineering, insights & data science
• Drive toward business impact and make tough calls: Own decisions for the interactive product roadmap and portfolio feature investment, assessing impact and opportunity cost
• Influence and communicate your vision and strategy broadly
• Inspire and motivate those around you and in the external creative community as you learn together what works
• Grow and mentor team members in building an inclusive environment of teamwork, risk-taking, and trust
What We're Looking For:
• 10+ years experience in consumer product management with a proven record of successfully launching products or platforms (media/tech/entertainment focus preferred but not required)
• An entrepreneurial spirit or storyteller excited about the opportunity to lean into new technology as a vehicle for enhancing engagement
• A structured and principled thinker who can cut through complexity by creating clear frameworks and scalable solutions
• Metrics-minded; experience with a/b testing on a large scale is a plus
• Superb ability to prioritize and articulate priorities and corresponding product roadmap across business functions and geographies
• An evangelizing leader who can inspire, motivate and collaborate with engineers, designers, and others
• Exceptionally clear oral and written communication who can flex across technical, business, and creative forums
• An inclusive collaborator who is an active listener
• An enthusiastic participant in Netflix's culture. Our culture is unique and we live by the values as articulated at: https://jobs.netflix.com/culture.