The Director, Communications will generate maximum exposure for assigned Universal Studio Group original projects through series launches as well as work in lockstep with the Director of Awards to develop comprehensive awards campaigns. Areas of focus include pitching series showrunners, below-the-line talent, and awards editorial while also leading talent relations efforts for assigned series. The series include scripted and unscripted television spanning all platforms including streaming, broadcast and cable, as well as USG's podcast and graphic novel extensions. The ideal candidate will also be tasked with managing breakout pods for specialty projects as well as assisting in setting strategy for group initiatives. The position reports directly to the VP of Communications for Universal Studio Group. This position is based in the Universal City, CA offices.
• Work with network and distribution partners to create and implement unique and strategic PR campaigns for assigned series
• Identify press opportunities for below the line creatives, showrunners and executive producers
• Create strategy documents for launches that covers goals for the series
• Service daily media requests
• Coordinate and cover appearances for electronic interviews, photo and video shoots, as well as industry and press events
• Help manage junior staff in breakout pods such as unscripted, podcasts, animation and graphic novels
• Monitor competitive environment via daily review of competitive/industry news
• Contribute to award strategy campaigns for assigned series as well as overall studio awards strategy
• Identify and share press clippings about industry business news
• Work with our international studios on their domestic launches
• Work with network and distribution partners to help plan press events, (junkets, red carpets, press screenings, panels, speaking opportunities etc.)
• Collaborate with the marketing team on awards campaigns including gathering assets for microsite, various ads, panels, etc.
• Position series for awards consideration with key press and industry influencers
• Provide talent and executive producers with media training as needed
• Serve as a talent relations liaison for the studio which includes talent logistics for awards, booking hair, makeup and cars, start of production gifts, booking studio panels, assembling itineraries, marketing/social media initiatives, etc.
• Set and maintain budget trackers for assigned projects
• Collaborate with Corp Comms on drafting and servicing casting announcements, series pickups, etc.
• Develop and maintain relations with key press (long lead magazines, weeklies, trade publications, major dailies, blog and other digital outlets)
• Support library programming
• Copy editing written materials
• Be willing to step in and help colleagues and the team whenever needed
• Bachelor's Degree
• Minimum 7 years entertainment publicity experience, preferably at a studio
• Experience pitching, booking and covering national and local media interviews necessary
• Strong relationships with the Television Press, Trade, Awards and Guild Press
• Individual must exhibit strong interpersonal and presentation skills
• Individual needs to be able to work both independently and with a team
• Ability to juggle and meet numerous deadlines and identify press opportunities
• Proactive, master multi-tasker, creative and strategic thinker
• Exhibit strong external and internal communication skills
• Proven success in creating and implementing series campaigns
• Skilled at crises management
• Experience working on scripted series campaigns from a studio perspective
• Superior organization and creative skills
• Strong written and verbal communications skills required
• Willingness to travel and work overtime, and on weekends with short notice
• Must be willing to work in Universal City, California
• Must have work authorization to work in the United States
• Must be covered by Solutions, NBCU's Alternative Dispute Resolution Program
• Must submit an attestation disclosing your COVID-19 vaccination status and, if partially or fully vaccinated, submitting your vaccination record no later than 7 days following commencement of employment.
• Must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 at the commencement of employment or adhere to enhanced protocols in select work settings or where jurisdictionally mandated.
• Must be willing to adhere to all Company COVID-19 workplace safety policies and protocols.
NBCUniversal's policy is to provide equal employment opportunities to all applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, gender identity or expression, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, veteran status, membership in the uniformed services, genetic information, or any other basis protected by applicable law. NBCUniversal will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with relevant legal requirements, including the City of Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative For Hiring Ordinance, where applicable.
If you are a qualified individual with a disability or a disabled veteran, you have the right to request a reasonable accommodation if you are unable or limited in your ability to use or access nbcunicareers.com as a result of your disability. You can request reasonable accommodations in the US by calling 1-818-777-4107 and in the UK by calling +44 2036185726.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-gpbz50-34-229-119-176-42 in your application.