NBC News Digital is looking for an associate commerce editor to help expand its commerce content and shopping recommendations.
We're looking for an experienced writer who wants to help NBC News readers make smarter and more responsible shopping decisions. You'll have a hand in developing and expanding the NBC News Shopping commerce content footprint. Reporting to the editorial director of Shopping, the associate editor will conceptualize, report, write and produce commerce articles based on data-based reader interests, search trends, seasonality and more, as well as assist editors with planning and execution.
You will be expected to help us uphold editorial calendars to meet both short-term and long-term goals, exercising high-level editorial judgment consistently. Professional experience ideating, reporting and writing actionable consumer articles with a focus on service journalism is a must - experience with commerce content is not. On top of editorial responsibilities, you will participate in regular editorial meetings and collaborate with social teams, SEO teams and other stakeholders.
Our top priority is informing readers with fact-based and well-sourced shopping recommendations. The ideal candidate will be interested in and eager to learn how to best serve readers through shopping articles that are data-driven, easy to understand and compelling across topics - from tech and tools to fitness to wellness. The ideal candidate will have reported and written articles to include relevant research and other trusted and expert sources to help the Shopping team deliver evidence-based shopping guidance and advice. You will parse out what readers need to know - and what is just marketing jargon - so they can make responsible and smart shopping decisions.
• Pitch, report, write and produce commerce content for NBC News Shopping
• Translate relevant scientific research, complex news coverage and expert guidance into clear, concise and compelling content
• Create content on a wide variety of topics
• Help train and edit new staff and freelancers
• Plan and execute updates to evergreen content on a timely basis to meet the editorial demands of the news cycle
• Participate in regular editorial meetings
• Optimize new and existing posts based on affiliate partnerships and commerce opportunities
• Build commerce posts in the CMS
• 3 years editorial experience, commerce experience a
• Expert-based reporting for consumer journalism
• Work experience for a major news brand is a plus
• Firm grasp of AP Style: spelling, grammar and
• Demonstrable understanding of using primary sources
and experts to inform fact-based, grounded consumer
• Attention to detail and ability to make quick decisions
• Ability to manage many different tasks at once
• Excellent communication skills and ability to work across
• Knowledge of affiliate marketing platforms including
Skimlinks, Amazon, Linkshare and Rakuten a plus
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-d55w30-3-230-144-31-42 in your application.