Junior Desktop Support Specialist
Position at Industrial Light & Magic
As the Systems Administrator II, working with both local and global teams at other ILM studios, you are comfortable administering infrastructure and services no matter where these are based - be it on-premises, at our remote data centers or cloud-based.
Our Systems Administrator II communicates proactively and clearly and is capable of providing documentation for both technical and non-technical audiences.
The role is well suited for a self-starter with a cross-disciplinary mindset and DevOps-style approach.
Primary Responsibilities and Accountabilities
• Escalation point for high-priority, production-related issues
• Proactive and creative in identifying and addressing pain points through documentation, automation, scripting or redesigning existing infrastructure
• Design, build and administrate virtual and bare-metal infrastructure and associated services including desktop, server, storage and network-related infrastructure.
• Implement effective service monitoring, maintenance programs, and foundational system design with a global perspective.
• Help maintain security compliance and ensure that processes and procedures follow company and industry standards.
• Maintain documentation and processes around key infrastructure and services.
• Provide excellent support, including clear verbal and written communications to both technical and non-technical people.
• Participate in the activities of the local and global team, including development, support activities, and regular status and planning meetings.
• Proactively maintain and expand working knowledge of industry trends and technical developments in related areas.
Reports to the Manager, Technology Systems.
Education / Experience
• Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, or equivalent degree or professional experience in a technical discipline.
• 4-5 years of experience in IT related or other technical discipline.
• 4-5 years of experience in designing, building and supporting systems in a multi-platform high performance production environment.
• Previous experience in VFX or similar production-driven environment preferred.
Required Skills / Competencies
• Focused and personable team player.
• An effective communicator, who can both listen and engage and is able to diplomatically work with other teams and departments at a global scale.
• Must be able to prioritize a multitude of requests and be able to break down and resolve complex problems.
• Able to break down complicated technical goals and projects into planned tasks and components.
• Strong customer service attitude and skills - passionate about delivering rigorous follow-through and owning issues to completion.
• Agile, flexible mindset with the ability to adapt to rapidly changing requirements.
• Detail oriented.
Required Technical Skills
• Administration and support of critical services and resources including configuration, licensing, monitoring, patching and updates.
• Ability to automate workflows and extend services via scripting through Bash/Shell and Python or other languages.
• Deployment and administration of cloud-based services and infrastructure including for compute and storage.
• Working with VMWare or other equivalent virtualization platforms in an enterprise environment, including hardware and software configuration, provisioning, orchestration and monitoring.
• Methodically troubleshooting and evaluating performance and service issues, including the ability to analyze and trace across multiple data inputs, logs and metrics.
• Administering and supporting a heterogeneous OS environment including Linux, Windows and macOS for both server and desktop.
• Passionate and knowledgeable about enterprise IT security concepts, procedures and implementations.
• Excellent documentation skills, including writing for both technical and non-technical audiences.
• Creating and supporting distributed scalable systems that are secure, fault tolerant and reliable.
Preferred Skills / Competencies
• Experience supporting production/customer critical systems
• Highly competent Linux administrator for both server and client side
• Remote desktop protocols and administration such as Teradici PCoIP
• Broad knowledge of storage architecture, protocols and administration
• Configuring network attached storage including backup and caching
• Broad knowledge of network architecture, protocols and administration
• Configuring network switches including IP and VLAN allocation and management
• Build automation and configuration management
• Cloud-native technology, tools and frameworks
Ability to lift up to 50 lbs
Lucasfilm is among the world’s leading entertainment service companies, a pioneer in visual effects and sound across multiple mediums, and is home to the legendary Star Wars and Indiana Jones franchises.