Position at Industrial Light & Magic
Senior Matchmove/Layout Artists are responsible for independently creating camera moves and rough blocking animation within a digital environment. Senior MM/Layout Artists work closely with the Animation Director and Visual Effects Supervisor to establish composition, timing, and continuity for each shot. May be required to work with live-action plates or in a CG layout environment.
Senior MM/Layout Artists act as a central hub for all shot preparation to ensure continuity and camera accuracy in CG Elements. While matchmoving is one requirement of the position, Senior MM/Layout Artists may perform tasks outside of matchmoving including CG layout, modeling set geometry, photomodeling, lidar solves, previz, and basic lighting & compositing.
• Independently performs complex matchmove tasks such as camera tracking, character matching (matchanim), solving lens distortion, deformation matching of surfaces, solving native stereo plates
• Responsible for multi-plate splicing and stitching, adding creative plate post-moves, creative stereo (i.e. Technical layout)
• Responsible for Previz, postviz and techviz (prep for location shooting or ride development); Process inbound/outbound moco data
• Photomodels, performs environment/scene setup verifying correct assets are being used, edit ranges are correct, and generating initial data for downstream artists including animation/TDs/comp, lidar processing, set dressing (i.e. Scene setup)
• Creates creative camera work for non-plate shots and camera takeover shots with minimal guidance; originate entirely CG camera animation (i.e. CG camera work)
• Solve facial animation from face cams (i.e. face-capture)
• Independently set up the technical and aesthetic approaches of the matchmove work for a shot, sequence, or an entire aspect of a show
• Convert background plates to various formats to use with specific software to create digital motion files that match the plate photography; animate any live action character or relative object in the scene
• Model the set geometry used to create the matchmove and environment for Animators and Technical Directors
• Light, render and composite files with the background to judge the move
• Mentor Junior Layout Artists
• Special projects as needed
Education / Experience
• At least 5 years relevant professional VFX experience and at least a college level diploma in computer graphics, fine arts, design, or photography, or related field; OR, at least 7 years relevant professional VFX experience in lieu of education.
Required Skills / Competencies
• Ability to reproduce exact camera moves within a computer environment.
• Understanding of photography and the effects of different lenses on perspectives.
• Good written and oral communication skills including strong interpersonal skills.
• Excellent problem solving skills including the ability to work under tight deadlines.
• Advanced knowledge of Linux, Maya, 3dEqualizer (or other tracking software) required.
Preferred Skills / Competencies
• Location and/or Stage experience including matchmove set ups; data wrangling; hdr/digimatte/texture/pmodel photography; lidar scanning; lens grid filming; on-stage (real-time) camera capture/assistance.
• Knowledge of Nuke is a plus
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-gp1z3x-34-228-52-223-42 in your application.