Position at Industrial Light & Magic
The Senior Creature Technical Director is responsible for rigging and enveloping hero to background creature, vehicles and props in Maya as well as setting up and running flesh-surface, hair, rigid, crowd, and cloth simulations. The Senior Creature Technical Director is able to wrangle rigging and creature pipeline issues proficiently under the direction and guidance of their supervisors.
• Advanced knowledge in setting up and running Houdini cloth, hair, muscle, flesh-volume simulations.
• Wrangle creature rigging issues for artists in other disciplines.
• Mentor entry level artists.
• Script utilities/tools/plug-ins in various software packages.
• Wrangle creature pipeline issues for artists in other disciplines, such as:
• MOCAP data re-targeting in XSI/Maya;
• Act as wrangler for a creature and/or a specific technique used across multiple creatures
• Proficiency in hero-creature rigging and enveloping a bonus
Required Skills / Competencies
• Positive attitude and a team player.
• Passion for the work.
• Good communication skills.
• Knowledge of anatomy and enveloping.
Required Technical Skills
• Advanced expertise in Houdini.
• Experience using Vellum for Cloth and Muscle simulations is required.
• Expertise with Maya is required.
• Demonstration of advanced rigging skills.
• Proficiency with Linux is required.
• Experience with Python scripting.
• Feature Film experience is required
• Experience in ILM proprietary tools a bonus
• Education / Experience
• At least 7 years of work experience as a Maya rigger in digital animation, visual effects, games, commercials or producing cg characters and creatures for visual media.
• Bachelor's degree or equivalent degree in Computer Science, Computer Visualisation, or Computer Animation is a plus.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney's stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC, which is part of a business segment we call Industrial Light & Magic.
Lucasfilm is among the world’s leading entertainment service companies, a pioneer in visual effects and sound across multiple mediums, and is home to the legendary Star Wars and Indiana Jones franchises.