Senior Pipeline Technical Director
Position at Industrial Light & Magic
We are looking for engineers for our Creatures R&D team, to help develop software that brings to life photo-realistic digital characters for major motion pictures.
We're looking for engineers with experience in creature body and facial rigging and animation, artist-controllable geometric deformation, soft-body dynamic simulation, procedural modeling, and 3D asset management. We need people with strong backgrounds in software engineering, a keen interest in making production-worthy tools for artists, and a knack for simplifying complex processes.
What You'll Do
• Work in a collaborative, distributed team of full-time software engineers, and work directly with highly specialized and supremely talented artists, in ILM's studios in San Francisco, Singapore, Vancouver, London, and Sydney
• Design innovative algorithms, artist-friendly user interfaces, template-based asset management systems, and automated batch processes that scale to high volume visual effects production; design systems that simplify complex creature setup and shot simulation processes
• Integrate commercial and open-source systems into the ILM production pipeline
• Work within and extend and assist ILM's proprietary software systems
• Split time between long-term software development projects and day-to-day production assistance
What We're Looking For
• BS or advanced degree in computer science or related field, or equivalent experience
• 3+ years of experience in professional software development and/or VFX production
• An intuitive comprehension of the demands of a fast-paced, creatively-driven visual effects production environment
• Collaboration: a readiness to rely on others, be dependable, and play nice
• Communication: an ability to express yourself concisely, a willingness to be outspoken, and a conviction to keep everyone informed of progress and issues
• Empathy: an ability to listen intently and interpret artists' needs
• Creativity: an insightful and analytical thinker, and a creative problem solver
• Expert knowledge of programming in Python and/or C++ on Linux
• Thorough knowledge of technology related to creature modeling, animation, and simulation: rigging, geometric deformation and caching, physically-based soft-body simulation, procedural geometry, etc.
• Experience with Maya, as both a user and developer
• Experience designing interfaces using GUI toolkits: Qt, PyQt/PySide, etc.
• Thorough knowledge of software design/development principles: design patterns, object-oriented design, agile development, etc.
• Experience working with a large, complex, mature, and dynamic code base
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-dy7wjq-34-237-52-11-42 in your application.
Lucasfilm is among the world’s leading entertainment service companies, a pioneer in visual effects and sound across multiple mediums, and is home to the legendary Star Wars and Indiana Jones franchises.