Generalist (Environments) Supervisor
Position at Industrial Light & Magic
The Generalist/Environments Supervisor's primary responsibility is to oversee the day-to-day operations of the team, ensuring that all the effects are created according to the designs and visual style of the show. This will require partnering with the Creature, Environment, and Lighting Supervisors as well as the Producer.
Generalists (Environments) have the ability to create photo-real environments and landscapes, exhibiting a strong foundation in photo-realistic, traditional, and digital art skills with an emphasis on landscapes. Works with live-action footage, digital still photography, rendered computer graphic elements, and digital paint to create environments that are seamlessly integrated into films.
• Supervises the Generalist (Environments) team to deliver the expected and desired effects for the show
• Consult with the CG Supervisor as to the technical feasibility of elements in the designs and suggest production-friendly solutions that will maintain the vision of the show
• Responsible for reviewing the work of each artist on a regular basis and approving shots and models for submission to the director
• Participates in the recruiting and staffing of the Generalist (Environments) teams, assessing the work of prospective candidates for the hiring process and works with production management on hiring decisions
• Partners with production management to guide artists' overall professional development, providing performance feedback, mentoring resolving performance management issues and maintaining positive morale amongst the crew
• Attend all relevant meetings to promote effective communication throughout the production team
• Develops solutions and techniques that meet art/technical direction.
• Participates in team reviews of work under development.
• Texture skills would match this competence level, i.e. able to create maps in 2D and set up basic shaders for look development.
• Good understanding of the physics of light, how this interacts with the camera and how to create basic lighting setups in complex shaders (like hard surface type materials) that look convincing and render efficiently.
• Responds to feedback to dial and in the look of the element before handing to final comp.
• Has a good working knowledge of specialist tools and plugins like Multiscatter, Speedtree, etc.
• Works with the sequence lead to test out tools and techniques before rolling out to shot artists and handles reasonably complex hard body and soft body sims and light/render them for comp. Can run script and modify it for specific needs.
• Responsible for creating original 2D and 3D content that may comprise part or all of an environment
• Uses artistic and technical skills to work on all aspects of CG images or shots
• Creates high-quality computer graphics within a shot using a variety of software programs
• Participates as a team member in determining various aesthetic solutions; provides feedback to other members of the production by attending dailies on a regular basis
• Expected to mentor Apprentice and Jr. Artists and must be able to assist them with their shots
• Work to meet defined milestones within a timeline
• Source suitable reference materials for required assets
• Attend dailies and participate in creative problem solving
Education / Experience
• 6+ years relevant professional experience in a leadership role on a VFX film or CG animated project
• BA in computer graphics, fine arts, design, or photography, or related field; OR, an equivalent combination of education and experience.
• Experience working across different studios/locations and time zones
• Demo Reel and/or Portfolio required
Required Skills / Technical Competencies
• Proven ability in CG techniques, including modeling, texturing, shading, lighting, look development, or compositing
• High level of problem solving or creative thinking skills
• Comprehensive knowledge of Matte Painting techniques
• Ability to apply 2.5D / 3D techniques for effective problem solving
• Experience in accurate bidding of all aspects of the work required
• Strong English communication skills
• Fluent in Houdini, 3dsmax, Maya, Photoshop, Nuke
• Fluent in Vray / Solaris
• Demonstrated ability to quickly pick up new software
• Demonstrable experience of mentoring and developing artists
**FOR US BASED NEW HIRES ONLY:** We are taking a responsible approach to creating environments that allow us to do what we do best - entertain and inform millions around the world. As part of our commitment to health and safety, COVID-19 vaccines are required for current US salaried and non-union hourly employees, as well as all newly hired US employees.
• • •
This position is with Industrial Light & Magic, which is part of a business we call Industrial Light & Magic.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-ropvo3-3-238-136-36-42 in your application.