Deputy General Manager
London, United Kingdom
Venue: O2 Academy Islington
Company: Academy Music Group
Reports to: Divisional manager
Working hours: Full-time
The general manager is a key role within the organisation, accountable for the wider team at O2 Academy Islington and management of the day-to-day business and operational functions. A dynamic manager will lead exceptional delivery within this high-volume, two-room venue in the heart of London's N1. Passionate about the live events industry and highly motivated to maximise the events diary, you will generate commercial and creative opportunities for shows and events with established acts, emerging artists and club events.
The general manager is the linchpin for the team at O2 Academy Islington, an established and thriving venue where our shows and events are as diverse as the individuals within it. The successful candidate will be drawn to managing, training and supporting an innovative team in a fast-paced live environment, driving our inclusive culture to deliver the best possible programme of live entertainment for everyone, where collaboration is at the heart of everything we do.
• Successful background in the live entertainment industry or venue management
• Experience of working as a manager or an operational role within a high-volume venue
• Proven track record in managing live performances and club events
• Knowledge of health and safety regulations and licensing
• Excellent communication and diplomacy skills
• Management experience of a large team
• Proficient in Microsoft Office packages
• Understanding of booking and promotions of live events
• Excellent control of operating costs and budgeting
• Self-motivated and results driven
What We Need
• Personal licence holder
• First-class client and customer service
• Demonstrable leadership and motivation of others
• Passionate and enthusiastic for the live events and club industry
• Flexibility to work irregular hours (weekends/evenings/public holidays)
• Willingness to build positive working relationships
• A proactive leader in problem-solving who can negotiate solutions
• Strong awareness of P&L
• A dynamic, forward-thinking manager to deliver exceptional service
• Ability to drive the venue business forward
What You'll Be Doing
• Meet Company business objectives and manage operations
• Maximise the events diary
• Act as the first point of contact for all contracted events
• Maintain and develop client relationships
• Implement efficient business strategies as directed by the Company
• Duty manage events and programming to the highest quality
• Generate new business opportunities for commercial success and profitability
• Meet or exceed annual budgets
• Ensure all paperwork and reporting is completed and professionally retained
• Management and accountability for forecasting and budgeting
• Oversee all licencing administration, risk assessment and due diligence
• Adhere to all existing and new health and safety legislation
• Periodic testing and certification of venue equipment
• Control all operating costs in line with set targets
• Manage expenditure for all venue departments
• Ensure the venue is maintained to the highest standards
• Direct building maintenance issues so that urgent repairs are carried out in a timely manner
• Lead on compliance for all Company working practices
• Uphold and enforce the relevant terms of the entertainment licence and changes to the law
• Work collaboratively with the venue team, local authority and Company head office
• Support all training requirements and annual appraisals for full-time employees
• Increase employee productivity
• To publicly represent the venue and Company in a professional manner
While this is a great opportunity in an exciting industry, this is not just a chance to see shows for free! The role is not your ordinary nine-to-five and the industry is demanding, with sometimes long and unsociable hours. The excitement and energy of the shows and events we create comes from the hard work and dedication we commit to our work, and this position is no exception so get ready to bring your very best to the role.
Academy Music Group (AMG) is the UK's leading owner and operator of live music and entertainment venues with award-winning credentials. Several of our historic theatres are unique institutions of British music and culture and our vision is to inspire artists and audiences by hosting unforgettable live performances.
AMG is part of Live Nation Entertainment which is the world's leading live entertainment company comprised of global market leaders: Ticketmaster, Live Nation Concerts, LN Media and Artist Nation Management.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-rv1mb7-3-238-130-97-42 in your application.
Live Nation Entertainment is the global leader in live entertainment and ticketing. Our world-class portfolio reaches all aspects of the live event and ticketing industry, from ground-breaking software in Ticketmaster, mix of legendary venues and restaurants in House of Blues, production leaders in Concerts, exceptional brand partnerships in Media & Sponsorship, and unparalleled team of artist managers in Artist Nation supported by diverse professionals in all facets of Corporate operations.