Photographer / Editor
San Jose, CA
Telemundo 48 (KSTS) in San Jose, CA, is currently seeking a Weather & Traffic Anchor/Reporter. The successful candidate will produce and create great graphics that are clear and easy to follow; tell the viewers a weather story every day, every newscast, and make sure the viewers get the information they need for the day. He/she will also produce traffic reports.
• Prepare weather forecasts and traffic reports based on material assembled from various sources, using all the technology available
• Present weather and traffic information for all platforms in a manner that is clear, engaging, and meaningful to Bay Area viewers
• Continually demonstrate a passion for communicating weather and traffic information through graphics, verbally, and in writing
• Research and check out weather stories either in person or by phone.
• Monitor the weather wire to ascertain the news weather developments.
• Respond to breaking weather and traffic news as required
• Strong understanding of social media to further stories
• Assist in coordinating weather and traffic programming on multiple platforms
• Maintain a deep level of familiarity with the Bay Area TV market and the people who live here
• Potentially report on stories related to weather, the environment earthquakes and traffic
• Write scripts, lead-ins, cues, bridges, copy and other material for use on the air.
• Record and deliver promotional announcements when assigned and make promotional appearances as required
• MMJ duties may apply during work week
• Minimum 3 years of experience as a broadcast TV Meteorologist, weather anchor or news reporter.
• AMS, or NWA seal of approval or the ability to begin process of certification.
• Must have working knowledge of computer graphics systems such as: WSI, Weather Central, and Accuweather.
• Proven experience using forecasting tools including Doppler Radar and Satellite Maps.
• Excellent news writing ability for all platforms, as well as proficiency in newsgathering equipment and computers essential
• Proficiency in weather analysis and forecasting
• Bilingual: Spanish and English; both written and verbal
• Proven ability to ad-lib effortlessly on-air while under pressure during weather breaking news and during newscasts.
• Must be willing and able to work extended hours, varying shifts (including nights, weekends and holidays).
• Report to work in emergencies depending upon news coverage when required.
• Must be able to work flexible hours including weekends, holidays and overnights
• Must have a flexible schedule with willingness to travel and work long hours and on weekends with short notice
• Must be willing to work in San Jose, CA
• Must have unrestricted work authorization to work in the United States
• Must be at least 18 years of age
• Must have a valid Driver's License
• Meteorology/Atmospheric Science degree or equivalent experience
• Experiences in a variety of anchor/reporting scenarios, including studio, remotes, specials, etc.
• Very strong speech skills with the ability to ad-lib effortlessly in various types of situations, particularly breaking news, in Spanish and English
• Strong understanding and demonstration of editorial judgment and journalistic ethics, including a current knowledge of laws of libel, slander and applicable FCC rules and regulations
• Experience in automated studio environments
• Ability to solve problems, prioritize decisions, and successfully manage multiple assignments concurrently in a high pressure, breaking news environment
• Understanding of emerging news production techniques and technology
• Experience in Bay Area market and familiarity with Bay Area audience and communities
• Active engagement in Social Media (Twitter, Facebook, etc.)
• Good collaborative and interpersonal skills to communicate at all levels, in Spanish and English
• Work well in a team environment and be able to interact positively and productively with other employees