Senior Character Artist (Outsourcing) - Insomniac Games
Our Senior Character Artists are responsible for modeling character art assets at the highest quality level. They also mentor, tutor, and provide assistance to other artists to improve workflow and content pipeline. This particular role also aids in Outsourcing (OS) duties. If our open position for a Sr. Character Artist with a focus in outsourcing sounds like a perfect fit, read on!
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following:
• Creates low poly and high poly models using 3D application(s)
• Creates UV mapping for game resolution assets
• Creates texture/shader (color, normal, specular, ambient occlusion, height, cavity, and curvature maps using 2D/3D application(s)
• Works with proprietary in-house art tools to provide content to game engine
• Works with Art Director/ Lead Artist/Concept Artist to maintain art direction for the game
• Works with Character Art Team to maintain art direction for the game, providing and/or receiving constructive feedback when necessary
• Collaborates with other departments (Animation, design, tools, programming) to ensure art is implemented appropriately in the game engine
• Mentors, tutors, and provides assistance to other artists
• Experiments with and/or evaluates techniques and/or art programs to improve efficiency, workflow, or pipeline contribution to game art/engine
• Assist with outsourcing
• Write briefs, guidelines, overview OS process and deliveries
• Communicate with project managers and external vendors managers
• Other duties may be assigned
Education and/or Experience:
• Fifth year college or university program certificate; or five to seven years related experience and/or training in video games or film; or equivalent combination of education and experience
• Advanced understanding of Maya (or Max), Substance Painter, Zbrush, Marvelous Designer, or equivalent, and Photoshop
• Advanced understanding of generating normal maps from high poly models
• Advanced understanding of PBR shader
• Advanced understanding of complex node-based shader networks such as those used in Unreal Engine, Substance Designer, etc.
• Understanding of source control via Perforce or equivalent
• Knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite.
• Strong foundation skills with the ability to work with detailed or loose concept art, or reference art/ materials
• Expert knowledge of human and animal anatomy
• Advanced understanding of hair creation process
• Advance knowledge in organic and hard surface modelling
• Advanced traditional painting skills, and Ability to create models and shaders for a range of art directions, from photorealistic to stylized
• Ability to meet deadlines under tight schedules
• Willingness to receive direction from lead artist and peers and work closely with a team
Please submit your application for our Sr. Character OS Artist opening below, we look forward to your submission.
Recognized as a global leader in interactive and digital entertainment, Sony Interactive Entertainment (SIE) is responsible for the PlayStation® brand and family of products and services.