HearstMade is the in-house branded content studio for all of Hearst Magazines. Through a combination of data-driven insight and editorial instinct, we create stories that not only get attention but drive action. We are looking for a well-rounded Deputy Editor to join our team of editors, designers, photo and video producers and talent bookers in a highly collaborative and fast-paced environment.
Please note: For consideration, resumes must be submitted in PDF format with a cover letter, salary requirements, and a link to a portfolio of work.
The Deputy Editor will work across branded content categories-fashion, beauty, health/fitness, food/drink, home/design, and lifestyle/misc-from pre-sale brainstorms through post-sale execution stages and content review, helping to guide a team of up to 10 branded content editors through conceptualizing, packaging, and editing custom co-branded content. This role will be a liaison to internal (and external) stakeholders in the content-partnership process, and will be responsible for quality control for a high volume of custom-created digital articles, videos, photo features, and social executions.
The Deputy Editor will oversee our day-today content approach to seamlessly align our branded work with 20+ digital Hearst properties including Cosmopolitan, Esquire, Harper's Bazaar, ELLE Décor, Good Housekeeping, Delish, Oprah Daily, Woman's Day, Runner's World, Men's Health, and Popular Mechanics-to ensure copy and creative is authentic, engaging, and in-line with each title's editorial voice. This work must be as exciting and well-executed as pure edit, as well as deliver on client performance goals.
What You'll Do
• Top edit and QA all content (articles, custom-photo features, video GFX, social posts) within assigned verticals, helping branded editors take their work to the next level, as well as ensure copy is client-ready, immaculate, and on deadline.
• Mentor and gut check branded editors throughout the production process, fielding story and mechanics questions and guiding them toward the best creative work possible.
• Serve as a first stop for editors needing problem-solving backup in regards to complicated programs, challenging client relationships, and internal workflow issues; help navigate these issues with project managers, editorial, sales/marketing, and on client calls to move complex projects forward.
• Review WIP content, providing detailed feedback and direction on creative elements such as talent options, story beats, and scripting for custom videos; collaborate with photo and design to ensure content quality and cohesion.
• Brainstorm with marketers and editors in the presale pitch phase to conceive of and refine ideas for big-budget branded content programs; occasionally respond directly to RFPs as needed.
• Help manage day-today branded-editor team operations to ensure consistency of information, efficacy and efficiency, and accurate data logging; identify potential areas of process and/or editorial improvement, and lead immediate initiatives or set up trainings to get us there.
• Serve as a valuable team point person, steering other internal stakeholders toward answers and relaying our best practices; alternately weighing in on new, more streamlined ways of collaborating.
• Keep an open, steady dialogue with Executive Editor and Editorial Director, calling out pain points that need attention and supporting team-wide goals.
Who You Are
• You have at least 7 years of professional editorial experience. Previous branded content experience is highly preferred.
• You are highly adept at shaping shareable, digital-friendly content.
• You have exceptional editing, story packaging, and brainstorming skills-you should be an ideas machine and love to think big and strategically.
• You have experience editing feature content, profiles, as-told-to's, how-to, service stories and longer-form content.
• You have demonstrated experience strategizing and implementing workflow, process, and collaborative solutions, within and across teams.
• You bring a generalist's interest in and curiosity about a wide variety of topics; you are eager to dive in and develop content that represents excellence and authority on virtually any subject.
• You have excellent communication and project management skills and are a stellar negotiator; you are a natural diplomat and have the ability to build bridges and work with teams with uniquely different objectives.
• You are a quick thinker, flexible, and able to pivot as needed; you are energized by a fast-paced work environment and can gracefully balance an array of deadlines.
• You are self-motivated and able to work independently, and can both think up and follow through with action steps when you see a need or growth opportunity.
• You are patient and solutions-focused, with a positive, can-do attitude!
• • Preferred Experience
• Pre- and post-sale client-partner campaigns and/or content marketing work: writing RFPs, pitching ideas, assigning stories, shepherding art and development, working with project managers, etc.
• Top editing and traditional journalistic skills.
• Some practical management experience is a big plus.
• Some production background collaborating with creative leads on photo and video shoots.
• Building content in a publishing CMS.
• Knowledge of social content offerings across popular platforms (Instagram, TikTok, Snapchat).
• Knowledge of current culture and industry trends relevant to audiences across Hearst's digital magazine titles.
• Great relationships with freelance writers across most applicable categories.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-gx7zno-3-236-68-118-42 in your application.