The Hearst Magazines Enthusiast Group is looking for a versatile commerce writer/editor with an engaging style and reporting skills to join our commerce team and expand our review and recommendations content on PopMech. This role works closely with editors in all departments, from our in-house testing team to our news department, and should be comfortable covering a wide range of subjects. PopMech is the authority in a number of key categories including lawn and garden, tools and home improvement, electronics and technology, outdoors and adventure, appliances and smart homes, and more. You'll have the opportunity to recommend products to more than 15 million users per month.
The ideal candidate will have at least three years of post-grad writing experience for an online media company or publisher. He or she should be skilled at sourcing and recommending products in an informative yet entertaining manner, and should be confident informing PopMech's highly capable audience, inspiring them, empowering them, equipping them, and connecting them with the tools, gear, accessories, and resources they need to live a life of creativity and craftsmanship.
This role reports directly to the deputy editor for the Commerce Team and works closely with a variety of departments, including Editorial, Performance Marketing, and Executive Stakeholders. It could also sit in Easton, PA.
Please note: For consideration, resumes must be submitted in PDF format with a cover letter, salary requirements, and a link to a portfolio of clips.
What you'll do:
• Report, write, edit, and update commerce content that responds to a season, a trend, a project, and other brand goals
• Support search and commerce goals with a flexible mindset and the ability to change course quickly
• Collaborate with our testing team and staff experts for product suggestions, brand recommendations, insights, and guidance (we have decades of experience at our disposal and we embrace that to guarantee all content is authentic)
• Enhance the user experience through creative layout, clever copy, strategizing with the photo department, and choosing retailers appropriately
• Create shopping guides that are digestible, shoppable, and highly authoritative; you will evaluate the product landscape, consult in-house experts, analyze research, scrutinize reviews and ultimately provide the PopMech audience with purchasing advice
• Identify reliable sources, retailers, experts, and brands-you will be directly influencing what our readers purchase
• Use Google Analytics and our data management platform to optimize for affiliate revenue
• Create commerce embeds for news and service content as needed
Who you are:
• A minimum of 3 years professional writing experience for a consumer media brand
• A minimum of 1 year creating commerce content
• Experience reporting content, and with identifying and interviewing expert sources
• Expertise in or a passion for one or more of our key categories is preferred
• A flexible mindset: We pivot and repriotize quickly
• Basic understanding of SEO and commerce content best practices
• Comfortable in a fast-paced digital environment
• Strong copywriter, capable of writing engaging, lively headlines and blurbs, keeping the PopMech voice in mind
• Excellent communication skills, verbal and written
• Able to collaborate and foster positive relationships with colleagues
• Experience working within a CMS
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-d28666-34-231-243-21-42 in your application.