Director, Data Engineering
We are the team that architects and manages the backend datastores for the streaming platforms like HBO Go, HBO Now and the future HBO Max that enables real-time targeted customer experiences and dynamic business decisions. Our current data processing infrastructure is positioned for our next generation of technology.
We work with Software Engineers and Site Reliability Engineers to build reliability, performance and security into our streaming products. We champion infrastructure as code and strongly believe that automation is the key to delivering reliable systems.
• Play a key role in a team that designs, defines and executes end-to-end support and performance tuning of SQL and NoSQL databases for our DTC platform
• Participate in product direction and road-map planning, project execution scheduling, and hiring engineers to develop cutting-edge database services
• Work with other engineers on your team to define the next generation data architecture for our DTC streaming platform, HBO Max; including identifying gaps in the existing system and designing alternatives that are scalable, robust and easy to maintain
• Design, build and maintain end-to-end data platforms in an Infrastructure-As-Code environment
• Achieve operational simplicity while scaling internationally through automated deployment and configuration management capabilities.
• Plan capacity, and optimize system for cost while maintaining ability to handle peak load in an elastically-scaled fashion.
• Improve system reliability and performance based on quantitative metrics.
• Participate in cross-functional data integration efforts as Data SME
• Collaborate with engineering teams and key stakeholders across the organization to continuously acquire new data, detect and fix data quality issues
• Propose and architect data solutions based on requirements
• Work as part of a team on scheduled and ad-hoc projects.
• Have a demonstrated ability to work in a team of highly talented individuals, grow collaboration in a distributed environment and have fun
• Have 3+ years of top-tier database development experience
• Expertise with core Computer Science fundamentals, programming, algorithms, and data structures
• Strong programming experience with SQL, NoSQL.
• Database tuning and optimization
• Strong knowledge of database architecture and administration
• Have 3+ years of strong experience with Python and/or Shell scripting
• Have 3+ years of strong experience with PostgreSQL and/or Cassandra
The Nice to Haves
• Hands-on experience in automation processes for database creation, maintenance, and rebuild
• Experience working in Cloud data center environments
• Ability to identify key metrics and build resilient processes to detect and minimize issues
• Strong attention to detail and ability to identify downstream effects of design on data mining, business intelligence, and analysis
• Great communication and collaboration skills and a team-focused approach towards software development
• Experience with version control systems (GitHub), CI/CD approaches, and build/deployment pipleline tools (Jenkins)
• Media, entertainment, and/or games industry experience is a plus
• Familiarity with Log Aggregation systems (ex Splunk, ELK) and processing stream-based data (ex Kafka, Lambda etc)
• Experience with DynamoDB and Redis
• Experience working on or with a distributed team separated by time zones
• Broad exposure to AWS DB services
• Prior experience setting up Prometheus or Graphite metrics as well as familiarity with Grafana for graphing and alerting
• Exclusive WarnerMedia events and advance screenings
• Paid time off every year to volunteer
• Access to well-being tools, resources, and freebies
• Access to in-house learning and development resources
• Part of the WarnerMedia family of powerhouse brands
WarnerMedia is a leading media and entertainment company that creates and distributes premium and popular content from a diverse array of talented storytellers and journalists to global audiences through its consumer brands including: HBO, HBO Now, HBO Max, Warner Bros., TNT, TBS, truTV, CNN, DC Entertainment, New Line, Cartoon Network, Adult Swim, Turner Classic Movies and others.