News Anchor / Reporter / Wshm
Named 2021 Station of the year by the Massachusetts Broadcasters Association, Western Mass News is a licensed television station in Springfield, Massachusetts, and serves the Pioneer Valley. The networks of Western Mass News include ABC 40, Fox 6 and CBS 3.
WGGB is currently seeking a News Anchor/Reporter. The Anchor/Reporter develops newscasts which will attract the largest available audience to the station's newscasts. This position works with Producers to create the newscast. The News Anchor covers news in the field, writes stories and edits and/or rewrites copy when needed.
Duties and responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
40% - Delivers news and introduces content from local news reporters, sports and weather as well as external sources in accordance with program outline. Delivers unscripted breaking news coverage and special event coverage to the community at large.
10% - Collaborates with producers and management in the development of broadcast content such as newscasts, promotions and teases. May appear in promotions as assigned.
30% - Receives assignments or evaluates leads and tips in order to develop story ideas. Covers news in the field. Transmits news stories or reports from remote locations using equipment including satellite phones, telephones, fax machines or modems.
5% - Generates, produces and delivers high profile special reports. Edits video for broadcasts as necessary.
5% - Participates in community events and makes public appearances on behalf of the station as assigned.
Education: Bachelor's degree in Broadcast Journalism, Communications or a related field, or equivalent training and/or experience.
Experience: Three to five years experience as a reporter or anchor at a commercial broadcasting station. Previous experience working in a fast-paced environment requiring strict deadlines and a focus on team orientation.
- Must be creative with ability to provide original concepts, ideas and solutions.
- Must be a skilled communicator capable of speaking to a diverse audience and conveying messages effectively.
- Ability to interpret information quickly and summarize into a clear, concise, relevant and understandable presentation.
- Must possess strong listening skills for meaningful and interesting interviews with newsmakers.
- Strong computer skills required; experience with Avid and MS Office strongly preferred.
- Must possess strong written communication skills to effectively articulate details of the news and local events to the community.
- Must possess a valid driver's license.
- % Travel Required (Approximate): 20%
Interested applicants can, go to https://gray.tv/careers#currentopenings, you may type in the job title, station call letters, or click on ''apply now'', upload your cover letter, resume, and references
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-d8qb6x-34-231-147-28-42 in your application.
Gray Television supports local community interests by providing quality television broadcasting and exceptional service in each market we serve. Gray owns and/or operates television stations and leading digital properties in 93 television markets including the first or second highest rated television station in 85 markets. We are an unmatched broadcast pioneer that keeps getting bigger and better.