Part-Time Statistics Analyst I
The Stats Analyst I position is part of the Stats & Analysis Team. If you see a score or a stat on virtually any ESPN platform – a studio television panel, the BottomLine, ESPN.com, Fantasy, GameCast – you probably have a Stats Analyst I to thank. Stats Analysts ensure the accuracy of sports data (scores, schedules, standings, rosters, etc.) reaching ESPN platforms worldwide. They work with automated data feeds and use manual data entry to ensure the delivery of the fastest, most accurate sports data in the world.
Stats Analysts work with automated data feeds and use manual data entry to ensure the delivery of the fastest, most accurate sports data in the world.
Stats Analysts are also responsible for helping turn stats into story lines. They must be able to recognize statistical events that help explain why a team won or lost. By using stats to help tell stories, analysts support ESPN platforms, including television studio and event productions and digital media.
In addition to the stats and content-generation aspects of the position, there is the opportunity for work that takes into account a candidate's specialized training, skills and knowledge. Candidates with advanced mathematics or economics statistical knowledge, database skills, SQL programming ability, etc., can use their skills in support of Stats & Analysis' projects and story-telling roles.
Ideal candidates will possess the following traits:
• A demonstrated knowledge of and passion for sports coverage Expert-level sports knowledge including knowledge of analytic metrics and trends
• Excellent oral and written communication skills
• Meticulous attention to detail in striving for 100 percent accuracy
• Strong news/content judgment
• A demonstrated knowledge of analytic metrics and trends
• The ability to thrive in a fast-paced deadline-driven environment
• Proficiency with desktop computers and experience with mobile devices
• The ability to focus on detailed work for an extended period of time
• Heavy interest in Fantasy sports
• Aptitude for working with technology such as data feeds, data warehouses and custom software tools
• Ensure that all sports data distributed by Stats & Analysis is the fastest, most accurate and insightful in the world. This is a wide-ranging requirement that includes real-time clock-and-score coverage, generating play-by-play and utilizing other applications.
• Work in individual settings, small groups and large groups while delivering accurate statistics and data in a real-time basis across the newsroom.
• Enter sports data quickly and accurately and verify the results of one's own work and that of others; perform with a consistently high attention to detail.
• Contribute to production, projects and initiatives across the newsroom.
• Assist those in leadership roles in the newsroom who are directing and leading full-time staff and part-time employees.
• Anticipate potential problems, both nightly and long-term, and offer potential solutions. Communicate quickly and decisively with colleagues on these issues.
• Develop a working knowledge of statistics' role in ESPN products for Studio and Digital Media platforms.
• Take a proactive role in working with colleagues in developing processes for accurate data intake.
• Be an active participant in team and department meetings.
• Seek and respond to feedback around personal performance.
• Stay informed of current department policies and procedures.
• Must be passionate about sports and statistics; candidates need to have a working knowledge of players, teams and the rules of the games.
• Full availability for this position, which will include nights (almost exclusively), weekends and holidays
• Minimum of 1 year experience working with statistics, preferably in online, television or print media
• Team leadership experience
• Experience working in a team environment collaborating with multiple departments toward a common goal
• A thorough knowledge of television production usage of data in on-air and research applications
• Working knowledge of all ESPN platforms' products and technologies
• Experience working in the public relations or marketing department of a college or professional sports team
• Experience working with sports content and story lines via TV, radio, newspaper or notable sports blog
• Academic project focused on sports journalism, sports business or sports statistics
• Ability to speak and write Spanish
• Experience with Microsoft Office products, including Excel
• High School diploma or equivalent
• Bachelor's Degree
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-r7k74q-54-174-225-82-42 in your application.