Software Engineering Manager
Technical Director - Studio Technology Group
The Studio Technology Group (STG) is a collection of teams reporting to the Head of Technology of EA Studios whose mission is to provide technical support and leadership in areas such as Engine Release Quality, Game Development Workflow, the creation of CI/CD pipeline for game teams.
To further expand our role as technology leader for studios, we, STG are creating a new team whose mission is to implement technical innovations and support for new hardware and software capabilities in partnership with our game teams, central technology teams and our external partners.
This team will provide technical leadership, perform evaluation and provide support in the area of new hardware capabilities, new platform and middleware support and targeted implementations and optimizations of some game features by game teams.
To lead this team, we are looking for a Technical Director or a Principal Software Engineer in Vancouver who will evaluate technical opportunities and directly contribute to those projects.
• Reporting directly to the Head of STG, you will provide technical recommendations and help steer the studio technology roadmap and their partners.
• You will perform evaluation of 3rd party technology and provide recommendations to game teams on applicability and propose implementations plans.
• You will also directly implement code and help partner teams to contribute to the special projects you will lead.
• You will document risk and opportunities of potential innovation implementation.
• You will lead a team of senior engineers from creation to completion of deliverables.
• 10+ years of game industry experience with at least 3 product cycles on PC or consoles in a technical management leadership role.
• Game development generalist, expected to be competent in most areas of game and engine code.
• Fundamentals of game console and PC hardware architecture and operating system software.
• Computer Science degree or related field, or equivalent training and professional experience
• Experience designing complex software systems and leading them to completion
• Autonomous and able to jump into game or engine code bases and contribute effectively.
• Experience in basic agile project management practices.
• Experience handling difficult situations and resolve conflicts
• Excellent team building
• Project and people management skills of teams of 10+ people
Although initially based from home, you will be based close to one of our game development studio either in Vancouver (Canada), Guildford (UK), Stockholm (Sweden) or able to easy commute to one of these locations.
Some travel will be expected as the world re-opens according to local health advisories and company policy.
Electronic Arts Inc. is a global leader in digital interactive entertainment. EA develops and delivers games, content and online services for Internet-connected consoles, mobile devices and personal computers.