Sr. Product Manager
New York, NY
Discovery's Digital group is a well-funded start-up within Discovery, Inc. We are fast, nimble, and have fun developing new, innovative, and immersive digital products and content for iconic brands. We are working at the crossroads of technology, entertainment, and everyday utility. As content creators across the digital ecosystem, we continuously leverage our technology to create immersive viewing and interactive experiences.
We tell engaging stories to millions of viewers across the Internet every day and bring new interactive experiences to life to not only entertain but improve the lives of our customers. Most recently, our group is behind the launch of discovery+, Discovery’s global streaming service, serving as the definitive destination for real life entertainment with the largest ever content offering at launch, debuting in the U.S. on January 4, 2021.
Our talented and engaged Product, Design and Creative teams are passionate about our mission and responsibility to build the future of Discovery Digital. If what gets you out of bed in the morning is doing phenomenal work, with a fun and passionate team, then this is the role for you.
As the Sr. Product Manager of Commercial Operations, you will drive product strategy and execution pertaining to payments, billing and the execution of offers and pricing plans. This is a critical role that will work closely with both Discovery’s internal stakeholders and external digital partners to facilitate a transparent communication process as well as manage technical expectations.
The candidate should be well versed in the creation of business requirements documentation, understand complex distribution platform specifications and in bringing offers and pricing models to market, across both direct billed and In App Purchase (IAP) platforms.
The ideal candidate should possess a strong understanding of the AVOD and SVOD streaming spaces as well as revenue best practices, growth and partnership strategies, and payment and tax standards.
• Hands on, proactive style to deliver offers, pricing and product features while working with stakeholders and complex technologies.
• Results orientation with a strong work ethic. Must be tenacious, with the emotional intelligence to know when to push harder and when to look for alternative approaches.
• Highly effective at creating collaborative relationships across the entire organization & extended teams.
• Successful in start-up environments, with a drive to get things done proactively.
• Take ownership and initiative with little oversight.
• An entrepreneur who sees ambiguity as opportunity, and obstacles as chances to build.
• Excellent oral and written skills, and able to present to small or large groups of people including Marketing, Legal, Distribution, Engineering, and Product Teams.
1. Serve as internal subject matter expert on matters pertaining to payments, billing, offers and pricing plans.
2. Collaborate with internal client stakeholders to create business requirements, understand complex distribution platform specifications and in bringing offers and pricing models to market, across both direct billed (including Gifting) and In App Purchase (IAP) platforms.
3. Manage offers and plans in Sonic (Direct Billing) and on IAP platform stores.
4. Partner with Director and stakeholders on developing strategy and roadmap for Commercial Operations and advocating for priorities, based on consumer and commercial insight.
5. Define and prioritize business requirements consisting of epic charters, user stories, and functional requirements.
6. Communicate a clear set of consumer and commercial needs at all times to drive key decisions and prioritization.
7. Communicate vision, strategy, objectives and KPIs for new features with ability to influence cross-functional teams.
8. Manage onboarding of new multichannel video programming distributor (MVPD) partners.
9. Partner closely with Marketing, Legal, Distribution, Engineering, and Product counterparts to ensure successful execution of initiatives.
• 5+ years of solid product/client management experience
• Deep understanding of Sonic (Direct Billing) and In App Payments (IAP), with experience optimizing revenue streams and managing payment systems and platforms.
• Prior experience of working with customer onboarding and management journeys.
• Experience with Dunning process and ensuring systems legal compliance.
• Strong understanding of AVOD and SVOD marketplaces and competitive dynamics.
• Functional knowledge of modern entitlement validation authorization methods for achieving SSO (e.g., SAML) and Federated Identity Management.
• Detailed knowledge of popular video streaming platforms and purchase models.
• Strong communicator, skilled at aligning business stakeholders and managing shifting priorities
• Prior experience working within portfolio management systems (ex: Trello, Asana, Confluence) and bug tracking systems (ex: JIRA).
• Previous experience collaborating with complex cross-departmental teams to launch features in an Agile environment.
• Direct experience in detailed planning and prioritization of epics and road mapping feature requests.
• High comfort level in analytics and generating business insights from data trends
• Previous experience digital media product management role and functional knowledge of related technologies.
• Demonstrated ability to create Business Requirements Documents with little oversight.
• Must have the legal right to work in the United States
Discovery, Inc. is the global leader in real life entertainment. We serve passionate fans with content that inspires, informs, and entertains, providing leadership across deeply loved and trusted brands, such as Discovery Channel, TLC, Animal Planet, HGTV, Food Network, and Travel Channel.