Senior Software Engineer (Backend)
Discovery is a global leader in the media sector, serving passionate fans around the world with content that inspires, informs and entertains. Discovery delivers over 8,000 hours of original programming each year across deeply loved content genres.
The Direct to Consumer (DTC) group is a technology company within Discovery that is responsible for building a global video streaming platform to support a broad collection of Discovery's brands, including the recently launched streaming service Discovery+.
DTC's engineering teams build applications for web, mobile, tablets, connected TVs, consoles, and other streaming devices. Those applications are backed by a fleet of cloud-native microservices deployed to Kubernetes within AWS. Our platform covers everything from search, catalogue, video transcoding, personalization, to subscriptions, payments, and really much more.
DTC is a growing engineering group crucial to Discovery's future. That's why we are looking for technically deep, analytical software engineers to join our first team in Poland!
As a Senior Software Engineer you will:
• Lead the design and development of more complex features, involving yourself and one or more engineers from your team.
• Write efficient, readable, testable code.
• Support other developers through brainstorming, design review, code review etc.
• Work autonomously, but actively seek input where appropriate.
• Track record of having built components of a high-performance, stable, scalable system that has been successfully shipped to customers in production.
• Proficiency in Java and a few other languages.
• Comprehensive understanding of Microservice architectures.
• Usage and understanding of Docker, Kubernetes and AWS.
• Experience with Continuous Delivery and Infrastructure as Code.
• Experience in operating and truly owning services, configuring alerting, metrics, and logging.
• Good written and verbal communication skills in English and Polish.
Extra points for:
• gRPC and Kafka for interservice communication.
• The asynchronous, non-blocking, functional style of programming and experience with frameworks such as Spring WebFlux or Vert.x.
What we offer:
• New project, no legacy code.
• Influence over the shape of the new team.
• Competitive salary on the employment contract and annual bonus.
• New MacBook Pro 16'', external monitor etc.
• Broad range of benefits, including Multisport, LuxMed, life and travel insurance and many more.
• Elastic working hours. We cooperate mostly with Swedish teams on a daily basis, which means the same time zone.
You should be located in Poland and able to meet the team in our office in Warsaw (~1-2x/month).
If your interest lies in building highly scalable containerized services - apply, we want to get to know you better!
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-d91jem-3-236-84-188-42 in your application.